Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
prior to uploading my new tune my car sounded a little deeper and seemed to have a little more throttle response. i bought m2 headers from ebay and uploaded my new tune and the car feels like it lost torque. it feels like the rpms shoot up more than the car takes off( hope that makes sense). the exhaust makes a pooping noise sometimes more than before this tune was uploaded. i think i read somewhere , they are making their tunes more gas friendly and i did notice a difference as far as mpg goes. i was thinking maybe they made my tune to lean:headscratch:

i just wanted to know if anyone else noticed this or maybe my tune needs to be tweaked.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
as far as it losing torque id talk to your tuner. did the exhaust pop like that before header install? and when is this popping occurring? if its after you let of the accelerator is the baffles in the mufflers. ive got mac boomtubes on my gt and if im revving it high it will pop ungodly loud when i let off. if its during acceleration it sounds like a timing issue, which could be tune since it controls global timing. and yes, timing off can and will kill torque. do you have any other tune you can run in it? i have the 91 race from bama and it is very aggressive and not to streetable. i like dougs 91 torque tune for everyday driving:yup:

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Shorty headers aren’t enough different from the stock manifolds to where they should make much of a difference. You may want to switch back to your old tune to see if your troubles go away. If not one thing you could check if you have a DVM with an ohms function is the resistance of your plug wires to see if one was damaged from handling during the header install. Could also look over your plugs too for a possible crack in an insulator (or a gap that’s been knocked off of spec), though that usually has a more dramatic effect than what you’re describing. Some aspect of the EGR system may not be happy with the new headers too, could give it a look over. More likely than not though it’s the tune and yes, lean can cause more popping in the exhaust.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
as far as it losing torque id talk to your tuner. did the exhaust pop like that before header install? and when is this popping occurring? if its after you let of the accelerator is the baffles in the mufflers. ive got mac boomtubes on my gt and if im revving it high it will pop ungodly loud when i let off. if its during acceleration it sounds like a timing issue, which could be tune since it controls global timing. and yes, timing off can and will kill torque. do you have any other tune you can run in it? i have the 91 race from bama and it is very aggressive and not to streetable. i like dougs 91 torque tune for everyday driving:yup:
it might pop here or there but now its more common. the pop usually happens in lower rpm's. i think it has to be the tune, like is said before the exhaust doesnt sound as aggressive which irritates me. before this my bama tunes have been great

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
yeah, you need to call Doug. tell him whats going on and see what he says. he has lots of happy customers here and im sure if there is a prob with the tune he will fix it.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shorty headers aren’t enough different from the stock manifolds to where they should make much of a difference. You may want to switch back to your old tune to see if your troubles go away. If not one thing you could check if you have a DVM with an ohms function is the resistance of your plug wires to see if one was damaged from handling during the header install. Could also look over your plugs too for a possible crack in an insulator (or a gap that’s been knocked off of spec), though that usually has a more dramatic effect than what you’re describing. Some aspect of the EGR system may not be happy with the new headers too, could give it a look over. More likely than not though it’s the tune and yes, lean can cause more popping in the exhaust.
i think its my tune because i had the headers with my previous tune and everything was fine. i noticed the power loss once i installed the new tune. dont get me wrong there still is power but not as much as before. like i said earlier ive been saving way more gas. did anyone notice that with their new tunes recently?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts