Ford Mustang Forum banner

My new custom faux gas cap. Let me know what you think!!

8K views 55 replies 21 participants last post by  RodgerJerney 
#1 ·
3/16" thick billet aluminum. 4 1/16" in diameter. Should have it in about a week. Can't wait. :kooky:

See less See more
#7 ·
Looks great, how are you getting it made?

#9 ·
Thanks for the link! and it will definitely look great, be sure to post some pictures once it's done.

#10 ·
Xrxified, THAT is a winner! 510 HP! LAWD have mercy!!! :worship :worship :worship

#18 ·
Thanks guys. I'll definitely post pics when I get installed.
Hey WRXified, if anything thanks for the link! I've been searching for custom badges because I personally think it's extremely gay to put "roush" or "shelby" or "GT" or anything else on a v6.. this however, is amazing!

#15 ·
I haven't changed the pulley yet. Waiting for the final dyno tune to do that and still undecided on the headers. Only additional power mods I have so far are the open air filter, Borla X-Pipe and Borla Atak Catback. The open air filter adds about 15 hp and the X-Pipe back is also about 15 hp.

The number was a guessing game but I'm just using a standard 15% drivetrain loss. The stock ProCharger kit with the open air filter on the stock 8 psi pulley made 427.3 rwhp (502.70 flywheel hp). That was on the stock exhaust. Add in the exhaust and that's where I came up with my 510 hp number. Wouldn't that be funny if I struggled to lay down 400 rwhp?!?!? Then my custom badge basically has me committed to headers or nitrous. LOL.

I'm not worried. 9 psi with my dyno tune, open air filter and x-pipe will have me over 433 rwhp. If not I gotta pony up for more mods. A win/win!! :yup:

That and 510 hp looks so much cooler than 475 hp....:coolest

#16 ·
I haven't changed the pulley yet. Waiting for the final dyno tune to do that and still undecided on the headers. Only additional power mods I have so far are the open air filter, Borla X-Pipe and Borla Atak Catback. The open air filter adds about 15 hp and the X-Pipe back is also about 15 hp.

The number was a guessing game but I'm just using a standard 15% drivetrain loss. The stock ProCharger kit with the open air filter on the stock 8 psi pulley made 427.3 rwhp (502.70 flywheel hp). That was on the stock exhaust. Add in the exhaust and that's where I came up with my 510 hp number. Wouldn't that be funny if I struggled to lay down 400 rwhp?!?!? Then my custom badge basically has me committed to headers or nitrous. LOL.

I'm not worried. 9 psi with my dyno tune, open air filter and x-pipe will have me over 433 rwhp. If not I gotta pony up for more mods. A win/win!! :yup:

That and 510 hp looks so much cooler than 475 hp....:coolest
More mods the better. Quick question though. How do you factor back in your drivetrain loss? I thought the formula was something like:

433 (rwhp) x 1.15 (.15 being DT loss) = 497.95 Crank?

#17 ·
More mods the better. Quick question though. How do you factor back in your drivetrain loss? I thought the formula was something like:

433 (rwhp) x 1.15 (.15 being DT loss) = 497.95 Crank?
The calculation is a little different.

To calculate for instance a 15% loss for the drivetrain on say a stock V6, you would take 305 hp and multiply it by .85. (100% - the 15% loss = .85). So 305 x .85 = 259.25 rwhp.

To calculate flywheel hp you use the same formula but work it backwards. RWHP divided by .85. So 259.25 / .85 = 305 flywheel.

For me, 433 rwhp / .85 = 510 flywheel hp. I think Glenn put down 460 rwhp with his Bassani headers. That alone keeps me up at night. I'm worried about too much noise but it seems like headers are such a ridiculously cost effective mod compared to others we buy that I can't imagine not adding them.

#14 ·
That's awesome. I waiting a couple years and a couple thousand less before I get my supercharger.

#25 ·
Wow! Speachless..........

#26 ·
Ball-park figure: how much have you spent on your 'Stang overall? Have you come out cheaper than a base-mid range GT, or have you busted the mark? Either way, it makes no difference, as you're putting down more HP, but I am curious. It seems to me you've spent an additional $8-10K in mod's since buying the car. I haven't looked at your list. I'm just going on what I've read in your older posts.

#27 ·
Scary question. I've intentionally avoided calculating the total figure. I will tell you it's a lot. It's way more than a mid-range GT but like you pointed out there are some differences that you'll never get on a mid-range GT like more power, Roush body kit, Koni/Steeda suspension, UCA and LCA's, Shelby Kicker audio system, less insurance premiums, etc.

Problem is I'd never trade my car even up for a Premium Package GT. I wouldn't consider it for a second. I'd have a tough time not considering a trade on a Boss 302 though. We'd probably all do that.

The issue I would've faced buying a Boss 302 though is that I have a modification bug that is insatiable. Whether it's a V6 Mustang, a Boss 302 or a Subaru STI, I could never own a car and not spend countless hours on it adding stuff. It's a hobby that I can't live without. I'd be spending so much money on the monthly payment for a Boss 302 that I wouldn't have all the extra funds to do the mods.

Performance
  • Procharger SC Kit - 8 psi, Helical Gear - $4700
  • Shaftmasters 3.5" Aluminum Driveshaft - $525
  • Borla X-Pipe - $270
  • Borla Atak Catback -$1000
  • Barton Short Shifter w/Bracket - $350
  • SCT Tuner - Procharger Tuned - $0
  • Ford Racing 3.73 Rear Gear - $650 installed
Suspension
  • Koni Sport STR.T's - $400
  • Steeda Sport Springs - $200
  • GT500 Upper Mounts -$85
  • Ford Racing 19" Track Pack Wheels - $0 after selling my PP wheels
  • J&M Extreme Joint Rear Lower Control Arms - $190
  • JPC Upper Control Arm - $180
Exterior
  • Roush Body Kit with Paint, fogs, splitters, billet grilles - $3000
  • Llumar Tint 50% - $150
  • Ford Rear Blackout Panel - $200
  • Shelby - Powered by Ford Badges - $100
  • DG Custom Hood Struts -$115
  • 3M Clear Bra - $600
Interior & Audio
  • Roush Doorsills - $175
  • Roush Shift Knob - $50
  • Roush Vent Gauge Pod - $30
  • Roush Boost Gauge - $100
  • Weathertech Mats - $175
  • Grant Roush Steering Wheel - $300 after selling my wheel
  • TMW Shifter Extension - $50
  • Shelby Kicker Audio System - $1200

$14,145 estimated. This is approximate with shipping and I haven't looked back at the actual invoices. Add that to the $27,000 for my PP Premium V6 and it likely seems ridiculous to any sane person.

#28 ·
Where are the pictures of your whole car??

#29 ·
Still, for $44K+ you've come out cheaper than a GT500 and only slightly more than MSRP on a basic BOSS ($41K) with nearly comparable HP/TQ, and you're not paying $700-800 per month on the car note alone. Doesn't look ridiculous at all (except maybe in fuel consumption). :shigrin

#31 ·
Stealthy! I like that!

I've emailed the logo place you gave us the link for. I'm gonna see if I can get my hands on some Lincoln "Cobra Star" emblems for a Gen I Mark VIII.

#32 ·
That is sweet. I just called them and told them my name was Andrew and I just moved to Florida and gave them my new address but told them to use the same billing info that I (you) gave them the other day.

#36 ·
I like the splitter. It adds a nice touch to the front and you can't beat the price. The fitment like all of the Roush products is as good as any Ford OEM part or even better. I've considered adding some support rods on the front similar to the Boss.

#39 ·
Very interesting article. A splitter might find its way onto my car after all. Perhaps even one of those funky oversized BOSS ones, ugly or not. I've had at least one experience where it might have helped. I was moving fast and hard on a mountain curve (very large radius, but still an interesting moment; no loss of traction though, just a bit of an unwanted floating sensation).

#41 ·
Great looking car, but imo the pp wheels looked better. What made you decide to swap them out?

#42 ·
Hey wrx that sterling grey you got is mean lookin as hell man! The endless upgrades you did is outrageous lol! :bigthumbsup

So I'm confused though, why aren't you getting the XR-1 Borla headers to complete the full exhaust? Also the Borla X-pipe you got did you buy that from borla.com? And will it fit the ATAK axlebacks? I was on their website and it didn't specify if they had a O/R X pipe, it seems they only have the shorty X pipe.

Don't mean to thread jack here lol

#44 ·
That thing is badazz, wrx. How much of that work have you done yourself? I would love to learn by working on my car, but unfortunately I don't exactly have the setup for it, and since I wear a size 54 sport coat, I need quite a few blocks to get under my car :)

I guess I just need to become friends with someone who has a lift!

#47 ·
Thanks. I've done all of the work except for the 3.73 gear.

I'm interested in suspension/handling mods, I'm experiencing topping out of my front suspension. Also the rear is pretty skittish when cornering on rougher pavement. I feel that both issues are due to unsophisticated shocks/struts, I'm interested in your opinion.
If I could eliminate those two things I would be a happy Stanger!
I actually just responded to someone earlier today about a similar question. This was my response.

I added them with Koni STR.T's and GT500 front upper mounts. The setup is an insane combo. The performance package car handles really well to begin with so my main gripe was the ride height. It feels a little firmer now but it still feels more comfortable in day-to-day Michigan conditions. The a$$ doesn't dance around anymore and it doesn't get light in the rear under hard braking. I had to brake really hard for an animal once on my stock setup doing about 60 mph on an on ramp. So sweeping turn, 60 mph, lock up brakes, nowhere to turn other than the ditch. The tail got really light and I almost lost it. That doesn't happen with this setup.

#49 ·
As said before, great job keeping it all clean and not over done.

#50 ·
As promised here is my new billet badge. These guys over at billetbadges do great work. I'm very pleased.

The badge alone.

Some minor modification to the mounting surface. I had to sand down 4 raised areas under the surface of the original badge. I think they were there to line up the badge with the surround. I ran some fishing line under the surround piece and carefully started to pull it up to remove it from my blackout panel. This procedure works on the standard faux gas cap that comes on the regular trunk lid. Be careful because once it pops off you don't want it to hit the ground. I then cleaned the area with rubbing alcohol.

Final Outcome :bigthumbsup

#51 ·
HAHA WRX THAT IS FN AWESOME, DAMN 510 HP!? How much boost are you running? Is it 8psi? That emblem looks fantastic! What was the website you got that on? I can seem to find the link on here maybe I missed it.

Also, to initially take off the OEM faux gas cap do you just pry off a little bit then use the fishing line to take of the excess tape?

#52 ·
The 510 hp is my conservative estimate with my final dyno tune. Had to take the "make it or break it" approach based on what the others with this setup have hit on the dyno. It's flywheel hp of course too. I'll be over that amount a week from now. ;)

Customized Billet Aluminum Badges For Your Ride

I went underneath it with the fishing line first to make sure most of the tape was separated then put a piece of foam down on the outside of the lip and used the tip of a skinny flathead screwdriver to pop it off. It wasn't hard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.