Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to polish the third brake light? On my daughter's 2001 the third brake light is bleached by the Arizona sun which appears to be a common issue here. Can I lightly sand it then buff it so it is shiny red like the taillights? Would rather not buy the LED light at this time. Has anyone used the headlight polishing kits on their third brake light? My headlights have been replaced so they are clear. The brake lights are also perfect, just the third brake light looks terrible. Gotta be a way. Advice?

·
Registered
411 Posts
I am having the same issue and have not been able to find a polishing system which works. I have not considered sanding but I think if we use something like 1500 grit or finer we may have success. I have been considering placing a piece of tiniting material over mine. My last resort is replacing. Good luck and hopefully someone chims in with a great solution for all.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
some people have done the same with their headlights someone described how they did it try giving it a search it should be about the same process

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Just a suggestion (so don't shoot me :shigrin): you could lightly spray paint the lens with red paint. Some of my ricer "friends" have done that with black or grey paint to tint their lights. You'll only need a few light coats. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well here is my answer to polishing the third brake light. Removed the light from the trunk lid by removing the two nuts holding it on. They are located on the underside of the trunk lid. You will need to disconnect the wire harness. A friend then helped me lightly wet sand it then we used his headlight restoration kit which consists of a buffer wheel that attached to his cordless drill and a plastic paste compound to buff out the light scratches. Then you use a wax type material to finish with. It looks like it is brand new now. One more project done:kooky:

·
Registered
507 Posts
Well here is my answer to polishing the third brake light. Removed the light from the trunk lid by removing the two nuts holding it on. They are located on the underside of the trunk lid. You will need to disconnect the wire harness. A friend then helped me lightly wet sand it then we used his headlight restoration kit which consists of a buffer wheel that attached to his cordless drill and a plastic paste compound to buff out the light scratches. Then you use a wax type material to finish with. It looks like it is brand new now. One more project done:kooky:
You mean the Mothers Powerball. Its just a plastic polish with a drill-bit with a sponge like mop on it. Its worked on my headlights which were yellow hazy and really pitted it helped alot but were still pitted (Which as mentioned they give you some bits of fine grit paper to wet sand I didn't use they full process) Other than the polish You could probably do it all without the kit. (It was like $15 with an extra bonus container of polish) Worked like a charm on my parents Acuras (Which to this day are some of the weakest headlights. You'd might as well hold a candle out the window to light the way haha) and actually did improve light-sight obviously not beyond stock.

·
Registered
428 Posts
For less-than-prefect lights, I sand them with sandpaper(usually start at either 120 grit or 320 grit depending on how much the damage is lol) and spray them with automotive clearcoat. You will never see 94-95 Mustang tailights look so freakin good after doing that. If you think about it... Headlight/taillight lenses are plastic... Some clearcoats are plastic based... So if you add new, clear, liquid plastic to lightly sanded and properly prepped plastic, the liquid clear fills in the sanding scratches and makes the lenses look like a brand new OEM piece :bigthumbsup My secret to you all! :gringreen

·
Registered
9 Posts
I actually restored my headlights by myself, some sand paper and a couple of polishing compounds. They look like new. :thumbup:

The third brake light on my pony is also looking hazy and ugly. I am actually gonna try to restore it today. If I do it I'll post pics and instructions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I actually restored my headlights by myself, some sand paper and a couple of polishing compounds. They look like new. :thumbup:

The third brake light on my pony is also looking hazy and ugly. I am actually gonna try to restore it today. If I do it I'll post pics and instructions.

So I ended up restoring the third break light today! :bigthumbsup
Took some pictures too. Here I'm posting the pictures and instructions on how to restore them.

You can also apply the same method to restore headlights, tail lights, fog lights, etc.

Hope this helps anyone who has this problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
For less-than-prefect lights, I sand them with sandpaper(usually start at either 120 grit or 320 grit depending on how much the damage is lol) and spray them with automotive clearcoat. You will never see 94-95 Mustang tailights look so freakin good after doing that. If you think about it... Headlight/taillight lenses are plastic... Some clearcoats are plastic based... So if you add new, clear, liquid plastic to lightly sanded and properly prepped plastic, the liquid clear fills in the sanding scratches and makes the lenses look like a brand new OEM piece :bigthumbsup My secret to you all! :gringreen
I actually restored my headlights by myself, some sand paper and a couple of polishing compounds. They look like new... :thumbup:
Both great ideas!! :bigthumbsup To the OP: glad you got yours restored! :D

·
Registered
9 Posts

I thought that anything lower than 800~1000 grit sandpaper was too rough for that kind of plastic. Well, if it works on you then I guess there's no problem. I prefer playing it safe and sticking to very fine grit.

I also haven't tried automotive clearcoat. I might try that on my gf's car. Sounds like a great idea :yup:

·
Registered
428 Posts
I thought that anything lower than 800~1000 grit sandpaper was too rough for that kind of plastic. Well, if it works on you then I guess there's no problem. I prefer playing it safe and sticking to very fine grit.

I also haven't tried automotive clearcoat. I might try that on my gf's car. Sounds like a great idea :yup:
It really depends on the damage... Some lights get a bit rough or bumpy in texture, so I hack at it with whatever grit I feel necessary until I get smooth and perfect... Then I wetsand to 400 or 600 grit sandpaper, sometimes smoother, and spray urethane clear over it. Looks like show car stuff, I found it out on accident after spraying a friend's 95 style tailights and the tape came off a bit...the clearcoat made the faded red plastic look brand new! :bigthumbsup Awesome accident haha I'll get some pics up when he brings his car back to me for more clear on his hood :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.