Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been wanting to do this a while and I'm fairly excited about it. So far I've bought a few things and as I get the parts I'll post pictures and updates. It's gonna be a long process so if I don't update it, it's because nothing has happened.. For the love of God, will somebody wish me luck!

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Good luck and kinda plain intro so get to it thumbsup3.gif

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well i didnt wanna overwhelm anybody with a giant intro, and like i said, it'll be a long process of buying everything. id just figure id start it now so i could add to it if needed. so far I've bought a turbonetics tn-series 600 ceramic ball bearing turbo, and the on3 kit minus the BOV and wastegate, also bought a gauge pod from am.

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
I'll be interested to hear how this goes . . . if you can post pics of the piping install, including any difficult parts like under-engine clearance, that would be great.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The turbo kit install will be the very last thing I do, and it'll be about 10 months or so before that happens. Right now I'm buying the turbo kit parts and random stuff. next will be the return style fuel setup for it. Then I'll take the motor to a machine shop to get the block built and everything. I'm literally building an entire car here. itll be a very long process with alot of money but that's the only way itll ever get done is if i do it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
sweet i cant wait to see this. I have been thinking about this kit for awhile. Ive never installed a turbo so it looks a little over whelming. What do you need to buy that is not in the kit?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well i called on3 and ordered the kit without the bov, wastegate and turbo. And I'm replacing the v clamps and i think that's it. v clamps are stupid expensive.. the only "flaws" on the kit are the v clamps, bov, wastegate and turbo. but i'm getting a turbonetics turbo for it and trying to find out more about a bov and wastegate now. It is a little overwhelming to put one of these kits on, but the instructions look fairly simple, have instructions, and if you can follow them correctly, should be smooth from there. The hardest part is gonna be getting all the kinks worked out like finding boost leaks and wrapping the piping in header wrap. i think I'm gonna order that tonight while I'm at work just to get it out of the way.

·
Registered
511 Posts
It's pretty easy to install. I have the on3 hotside and i fabbed my own coldside with a much bigger intercooler and 3" piping. I installed the hotside by myself in about 2 hours. Probably took another 2 hours to make the cold side.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, just ordered a pillar triple gauge pod, set of o degree plugs, and $130.00 in v band clamps.. This thing ought to hold together!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Where did you get your v bands from? Im still using the ones that came with the on3 kit and haven't had any issues. I bought some extras just in case from silicon intakes and they were identical to the ones on3 uses.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got mine from race parts solutions. Only reason i got them is because ill be close to 20 psi and dont need any failure anywhere.

·
Registered
636 Posts
For those of you running the On3 kit (I'm looking at you JMertins :shigrin) - could you take a couple pictures of ground clearance under the engine/suspension? I was considering this setup but considering that I live in MA with crap for roads I'm thinking the ground clearnace would likely be an issue.

I know I've heard/seen that other turbo kits are routed through the suspension/k-member (IIRC) and greatly impact ground clearnace but I haven't seen any under-car pictures of the on3 kit. I'm assuming it has the same issues but I'm hoping someone can confirm whether or not this is the case.

If it does reduce ground clearance I'll probably get a SC. If the on3 kit managed to route the exhaust in some way that ground clearance isn't reduced by much I would love to go with a turbo.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I don't have a pic to show, but have seen the On3 kit installed. It does affect ground clearance some. It is between the wheels though so it's not as bad as it could be.
I had a feeling that was the case. Most of the time you're right that since it's between the tires it won't matter much... but here in MA with all our frost heaves and s*** I'm still concerned that I could drag which is obviously not something I want to be doing.

Looks like I'll stick with a SC then.

·
Registered
511 Posts
For those of you running the On3 kit (I'm looking at you JMertins :shigrin) - could you take a couple pictures of ground clearance under the engine/suspension? I was considering this setup but considering that I live in MA with crap for roads I'm thinking the ground clearnace would likely be an issue.

I know I've heard/seen that other turbo kits are routed through the suspension/k-member (IIRC) and greatly impact ground clearnace but I haven't seen any under-car pictures of the on3 kit. I'm assuming it has the same issues but I'm hoping someone can confirm whether or not this is the case.

If it does reduce ground clearance I'll probably get a SC. If the on3 kit managed to route the exhaust in some way that ground clearance isn't reduced by much I would love to go with a turbo.

Are you lowered? I'm on sportlines but am changing them out to some bmr springs soon. With these springs and the on3 hotside there is about 2.5-3" of clearance under some of the piping. You can't be "slammed" if you want to use this kit.

Attachments

·
Registered
636 Posts
I am lowered on steeda ultralites so not quite as low as the sportlines, maybe 0.4" taller give or take (IIRC the steedas are 1.25" drop front and the sportlines are a bit over 1.5" drop front?)

I'll have to get out and measure my current clearance but I'm thinking that might hang a bit too low for the roads around here. Oh well, that sucks. Thanks for the picture though!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts