Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, my car's rear end is the subject here. Not my own rear end.

The car has about 117,000 miles on the ticker.

When cold, the rear end makes a loud howling noise. Screeching. Kinda like the sound you here when the wear indicator tabs on brakes contact the rotor. I just put new discs/pads all around, and I have tried pulling the e-brake when the sound is happening and it doesn't change the sound...so I am fairly certain that is not the issue. The sound goes away after about 1/8 mile or less.

Is it the limited slip? I have never changed the fluid in the rear of this car, and I have only had it for about 6 months or so. From what Ford says you never need to change it. So I haven't.

So, should I gamble and try changing the fluid, or just look into the limited slip replacement? I have an extended warranty for all "lubricated drivetrain parts". And I figure that would be covered then.

Thanks for all and any info! :wavey

Roy

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
My rear end makes noise too, especially after I eat chili! Sorry, couldn't resist.
About your car, its probably a good idea to try changing the fluid first, its cheap and may fix the problem. It could be the limited slip, or even the ring and pinion gears. If changing the fluid doesn't help, you'll probably want to take it in to a shop. I'm assuming the gears are stock, if not, its possible they weren't installed properly.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Could be your pinion or axle bearings. Axle bearings are much easier to change than your pinion bearing. Just a thought.

Does it sound like it's coming from near the tires or near the differential?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I missed giving a vital bit of info in my original post. As far as I can tell, the howling is only when I am in a turn. Where I park I have to pull out and make two right turns within 50 feet. This is when I hear the noise. I then drive about 100 feet, and then make another right. The noise somethimes occurs when making this final turn, but almost always on the first two.

The noise first sounded as if it were coming from the wheels, but now I am most certain it is from the center pumpkin.

The gears are in fact stock as far as I can tell. The car does not have a tune, and the speedo is dead on accurate.

Any more info would be greatly appreciated, and thanks for the info thus far.

Roy

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone else have any ideas? I could really use some input, and I very much respect the opinions of you folks.

Thanks again,

Roy

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't tell. Where I live I have to take a certain route out of my parking space. By the time I get to turn left the noise goes away. When I leave work I also have to make a right (no left turn out of the parking lot) so I can't tell then either. I don't drive that much aside from work, so it's hard to tell.

This is driving me nuts. I don't really (like a lot of us) have the cash to just go exploring with my mechanic. If I know it is a certain problem I can contact the warranty folks and just get it fixed.

Thanks for your time, I appreciate all info.

Roy

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
If you have a warranty you don't have to tell them any more than "Hey, this is making a funny sound, I think it's f**cked, make it unf**cked" That's what a warranty is for.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a very very similar issue.. Makes the sound when turning left.. If I pull it back right it will quit.. But mine does it most of the time just louder when turning.. Just got it so waiting the 60days for the warranty to kick in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.