Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my car is burning a ton of coolant and throwing up allot white smoke after gt40p head ,cobra intake and rocker arms.

so me and my dad took off the heads but they still looked great and so did the intake gaskets (can you visually see a gasket messed up)

So what could be my problem im really frustrated now thinking i just took off the heads for fun.

but one thing that was weird to me is that my lower intake bolts were really lose could that be my problem i only torque them to 16 foot pounds (but thats for the upper intake my mistake)

also my lower intake gaskets feel wet and the lifter Vally was filled with milkshake(oil mixed with coolant) and all my gaskets were brand now felpros

so do you think if i reinstall every thing and tighten my lower intake bolts to 23 pounds do you think ill stop burning coolant

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
16 is a bit to low, i usually go 20-22 ft/lbs on the intake. Make sure that you have the correct gaskets too and that the threads of the head bolts into the block are sealed with thread sealant, not thread locker.

·
Registered
25 Posts
you are probly hit the nail on the head with the lower intake, but just to be safe, I would have a machine shop magnaflux the heads. Some cracks you will not be able to see.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Yeah should be ok. Reinstall CORRECTLY then after initial warm up and cool down retorque everything. DO NOT REUSE YOUR OLD GASKETS. Felpro is the way to go:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Felpro 9333 gasket. I usually torque my lower intake to 30ft/lbs. Then as Spdjnky said, after a good warm up, remove the upper, and re-torque the lower again.....

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok thanks guys ima have at least the heads on by today maby a lower intake should be running tuesday or wendsay

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
I always go to 30 ft lbs on the lower intake, 16 is way too loose.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
guys im hela disappointed after 2 days of work that car is still drastically burning coolant i torqued my lower intake to 30 pounds and my head bolts to 73 and all new gaskets and new oil this car is sucking up a ton of money i really am in desperate need of your help now i have no more ideas of where it could be leaking from also my oil is now watery again so if you can tell me any suggestions

could i be losing my water from the timing chain or water pump or anything like that

please help!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
547 Posts
did you silicone around the water jackets on the heads and lower intake, i was told by many engine builders that even on a brand new head and intake always put a thin film of RTV around the water jackets, also, make sure the coolant isnt getting sucked in through the throttle cooling passage, i had that happen to me

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
guys i think my car stopped burning coolant i hooked up the black coolant hoses on the lower intake to the cobra im not sure what its called so you can see in the pic below

hopefully it stoped

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu55/dean-93/GEDC0288-1.jpg

feel so dumb

so what is it for and can i just plug it

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cobra intake hose

guys i think my car stopped burning coolant i hooked up the black coolant hoses on the lower intake to the cobra im not sure what its called so you can see in the pic below.plugged the black hose that coming off the lower intake with a bolt now no more coolant in my oil thank god!!!next question does upper cobra intake need coolant going through.and can i just plug hole on the upper cobra intake and run it like that.

hopefully it stopped

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu55/dean-93/GEDC0288-1.jpg

feel so dumb!!!!!!

so what is it for and can i just plug it
please help me out

·
Registered
223 Posts
Those hoses on your coolant pipes on the intake go to the EGR coolant passage on the EGR spacer...which the Cobra doesn't have.Block off the lines..You can plug the hoses or hook them up.I removed mine and just welded the holes closed on the water pipes that go down the passenger side of the engine.Was there water on your intake?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yes there was water in the intake and the oil pan.blocked them off now no more problem thanks

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
LOL.......Dont worry we all make mistakes. That port goes to the Canister Purge valve.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.