Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok bought this car almost a year ago 91 mustang notch 2.3l!
Ran into problems with the paint - took 4mths for 5ft job (looks good from 5ft)
Now it has a blown head gasket and slipping transmission, so i took out the engine and tranny:happyhapp
How do I find TDC? - pull out #1 cylinder sparky on intake or exhaust, put finger over sparky hole and feel compression blowing out the hole then look at crank mark and TDC mark on the plastic timing cover...........

Where's a good website for A4LD transmission parts?
My coil packs have cracks and are falling apart - should I go stock or MSD aftermarket? What does cracked coil pack affect - car ran after and before head gasket letting go?

On further inspection, the IAC was very loose - i could rock it back n forth by hand - no wonder my idle sucked so bad

·
Registered
411 Posts
TDC is when the number one piston is at the top of its stroke, feel when its about to go back down, there you go.

as for transmission parts, i rebuild my whole tranny, and i got a few parts from transmissionpartsusa.com. i got a gasket (o-ring) set from my local NAPA. and the torque convertor from autozone.
Do you plan on a full rebuild with either of them?

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Yikes, That thing sat for awhile with water in the cylinders.

The exhaust manifold is cracked(bright orange spot) and warped or had a bad gasket judging by the black around the #1 and #4 flange

The one combustion chamber with all the rust might clean up with a good sand blast, but I'd pay close attention to the seating surface on both the valve and the valve seat for rust.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Your pics didn't come up for me. But, as far as the auto trans goes, I got a built A4LD trans from PATC. Just search for "PATC". If you don't want to go for a built unit, you can get replacement parts for the bits of the A4LD that wear out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Your pics didn't come up for me. But, as far as the auto trans goes, I got a built A4LD trans from PATC. Just search for "PATC". If you don't want to go for a built unit, you can get replacement parts for the bits of the A4LD that wear out.
is patc a member? second gear is shot im my wifes stang and i need a a4ld and the shop wanted 1600 to rebuild it

·
Registered
98 Posts
is patc a member? second gear is shot im my wifes stang and i need a a4ld and the shop wanted 1600 to rebuild it
I doubt that they're a member. Search on the web for them. I've heard that they can be a little expensive to rebuild. I know of someone in AZ that can rebuild one cheaper than $1600.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I found a trans guy who said he would rebuild my A4LD with a rebuilt torque converter for $900 as a side job I pull it out and take it to him. I decided to just swap a 5 speed manual trans in instead.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Engine Tear Down Pictures - Engine Tear Down Photos - Mustang Picture Gallery - AllFordMustangs.com

Engine Tear Down Pictures - Engine Tear Down Photos - Mustang Picture Gallery - AllFordMustangs.com

Where can i get new engine mounts and fuel injectors from?
Will boring the block 30 over affect in a negative way the computer - remaining normally aspirated for now?

Need to know what all I can do without messing the computer

·
Registered
98 Posts

Where can i get new engine mounts and fuel injectors from?
Will boring the block 30 over affect in a negative way the computer - remaining normally aspirated for now?

Need to know what all I can do without messing the computer
Getting a set of convertible mounts would be better than finding a new set of coupe/hatchback mounts. I put a set of the latter ones on my '93, but I ended up having to do a little fabrication to make them work. That's because the remanufacturer didn't build them to 'exactly' fit the engine. So, if you can find a convertible 'Stang in a wrecking yard/auto recycler, get the mounts and perches that attach to the K-member. You should be able to get the rubber mounts through most parts stores.

I would think that boring the cylinder block wouldn't mess up the computer tune. Changing the stroke would. My advice, don't bore more than you have to. This may lead to cooling issues.

·
Registered
400 Posts
ditch the a4ld and get a t-5. why rebuild the dog when you can get a t-5 to make that pony run and you can stretch its legs more $0.02

·
Registered
132 Posts
Home of TurboChuck
Chuck Warren MAKES motor mounts for our fox bodies and other series........I got a set for my '90lx and they fit perfectly, no fitment issues and included all the proper bolts,nuts and washers.Man they look so damn good its a shame to hide them under the hood!!!!!:bigthumbsup

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.