Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys the reason why its a mystery is cause I havent looked into it at all. Put long tube headers on my V6 and noticed some oil on the passenger side, never noticed anything coming out of my exhaust so I was never too concerned. I assumed it was a valve cover gasket and was getting around to addressing the leak now. Today I went out and took a few pictures to try to confirm the leak was indeed the valve cover gasket and im still not 100% as the valve cover connection to the head looks dry, but the oil is still below it/above the headers. It looks like maybe the leak is coming from the bolt holes (not sure if they are through holes or not). Hopefully someone way more knowledgeable can more easily tell from the picture I attached. Thanks.
20210215_133113.jpg

·
Registered
122 Posts
TBH, it looks like it’s coming from the valve cover bolt. Probably oil getting over the gasket at that point inside the cover and weeping down the threads of the bolts. A dab of thread sealer (or a touch of RTV) on the bolt threads might take care of it.
Note: I recommend thread sealer over RTV. I don’t like silicone anywhere near oil on an engine. Too easy to use too much and have a bit break off and end up somewhere in the oil lubrication circuit where it shouldn’t be.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts