Ford Mustang Forum banner

Mystery part in 1966 289 heater box

10K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  1965 U CODE 
#1 ·
Hello gentlemen,

I am rebuilding my cooling system which has become a bigger and bigger job by the day. It started with a new radiator and now it includes the entire heating system...all in a daily driver, so I am now cruising around with a hole in the firewall while I wait on the parts.

To the point: there is a part in my heater box that the heater core rests on. It is made of metal and has a gasket attached to it. In my case it is rusted beyond use and beyond repair. Pictures attached

I have searched the intertubes for hours to find a replacement and not only does nobody have it, nobody is even talking about it. I also can't find the name of the component, so that doesn't help. All I know is that it is Part 18A573

Does anybody know where to find one of these mysterious pieces or even what it is called?

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Hi,
I ran into the same issue years ago, when rebuilding my heater system. I had to rebuild that piece, as well. Unless you find one in a donor box, you'll have to fab one or fix your own.
Here's a tip though, if your are not too concerned about originality, I found it extremely helpful, to extend the heater supply tubes beyond the fire, just enough to attache the heater hoses on the engine side. It's easily done, using 1/2" copper couplings. I cut off the "rolled end" of the brass core extensions and sandwich a copper coupling between the heater and the "rolled brass" end. This provided that coolant sealing ring.
Good Luck with your project.

#5 ·
I would say to try and salvage that part if it is not broken. either sand blast it or seeing as how it is somewhat flat just use a wire wheel and knock off the surface rust.

#6 ·
As far as what its called, Ford's name for it was:

Retainer (heater core). Used with 2" thick basic 18476 heater core.

I doubt that helps a whole lot...but you did ask. :)

Another heater for parts may be your only source for that one. The same part number was used in 65 thru 70 Mustangs, 65 Falcons and 70 (and beyond?) Mavericks..

#7 ·
Thanks everyone for your input. I decided against going to the expense and effort to find one in good shape and, given it's condition, welding new material isn't really an option. Since I have a new seal for it, I opted to sandblast the rust off and put a heavy coat of paint on it and throw it in as is with the new seal. I just don't think it will make that much of a difference in the operation of the heater.

Downside is, I will always know and there will be a 'tell-tale heart' beating under my dash for eternity.

I am still very surprised that none of the parts suppliers sell a reproduction, I have read that these are some of the first components to rust out due to their proximity to the heater core.

Next up is the one-day dash to get the project done before the garage on base closes and I have to drive the car home, nothing like the excitement of a daily driver project...

Thanks again, you guys are all invaluable resources to the restoring amateur. Now that there is some more info out there on the webs, some other newby will surely find it useful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.