Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
Im trying to hook up my mini tach in my 1967 mustang. It is an Australian part that takes the place of the clock blank.

In order to access the back of the dash I have to remove it but there is a cable that is preventing me from pulling the dash out.
The wire/cable runs from the dash cluster through the firewall and down to the undercarriage. From there it travels back next to the frame rails and hooks into the tranny near the back where the driveshaft exits.

The tranny is a tremec 5 speed.

The cable/wire is about a 1/4 inch in diameter and it's black.

I cant figure out what it is or if I should remove it from the tranny to get the slack i need to pull out the dash panel.

If or when I remove the wire, is there anything special I need to do to reinstall it. Im a newbie so would it be better to have a mechanic work on this?

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sounds like you are talking about the speedometer cable, if so unhook it, put a pan underneath in case a little fluid drips out.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Hey, let me know how this goes for you. I'm interested in doing this for my own car and I want to see how you're doing with it.

doc

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.

And will do.

-Tim

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
yes, you are describing the speedometer cable. Removing it from the tranny is a simple procedure of removing the little bolt on the clamp holding it in the tranny and simply pulling it out. It attaches to the back of the instrument cluster panel with all the gauges and detaching it from here is also a very simple procedure. I don't remember how it did it but I recall it very similar to how you might detach a coaxial cable from your cable tv.

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hello. :) To disconnect that from the back of the speedo you have to loosen the heater control panel and pull that out enough to get your hand to the back of the speedo, and then unscrew what will feel like a 3/4 inch nut on the back of the speedo with the cable going through the middle of it, and then pull the cable out of the back of the speedo. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I got the dash out. It turns out I need the msd tach adapter part 8920 to get the tach to work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts