Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here with the Nav unit have this sound when the key is in the third position? It's a "less than quite" motorized hum.

It's not a good/bad thing per se, it's just something I noticed today for the first time. I never sit in the car with the key in the third position; maybe only the 2nd position... and the sound isn't there then. The internal hard drive is spinning and being accesses fine when in the 2nd posiiton. Curious as to what "turns on" in that area when the key is in the third position.

With the sound of the exhaust, engine and music... I've never noticed it.

YouTube - ‪Nav sound in third key position‬‏

F

·
0 Posts
Anyone here with the Nav unit have this sound when the key is in the third position? It's a "less than quite" motorized hum.

It's not a good/bad thing per se, it's just something I noticed today for the first time. I never sit in the car with the key in the third position; maybe only the 2nd position... and the sound isn't there then. The internal hard drive is spinning and being accesses fine when in the 2nd posiiton. Curious as to what "turns on" in that area when the key is in the third position.

With the sound of the exhaust, engine and music... I've never noticed it.

YouTube - ‪Nav sound in third key position‬‏
Hi Bryce,

This is Deysha from Ford Customer Service. I recommend you bring your vehicle in to your local Ford dealer and have them look at it. Then, if you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to message me with your dealer, contact info, mileage, and VIN to see how I can help. BTW, she’s adorable!:)

Deysha

·
Registered
680 Posts
I have that noise to. Its one of two things or both. A cooling fan. A small gyroscope or both. There is a unlock procedure for the older units like mine. one of the features that gets enabled after the unluck, is a side load accelerometer or "G" meter. You can see how many G's you are pulling in a turn. A small gyroscope might be the system that enables the side load sensor.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Bryce,

This is Deysha from Ford Customer Service. I recommend you bring your vehicle in to your local Ford dealer and have them look at it. Then, if you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to message me with your dealer, contact info, mileage, and VIN to see how I can help. BTW, she’s adorable!:)

Deysha

Thank you Deysha. If others have this sound I will write it off as normal. I don't want to go through the hassle if it is considered normal behavior. It doesn't hurt anything. I only noticed it because for the first time in a year I sat in it with the key in the third position while trying to figure something out with the Sync.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have that noise to. Its one of two things or both. A cooling fan. A small gyroscope or both. There is a unlock procedure for the older units like mine. one of the features that gets enabled after the unluck, is a side load accelerometer or "G" meter. You can see how many G's you are pulling in a turn. A small gyroscope might be the system that enables the side load sensor.
I wonder how good a "noisy" gryroscope could really be?! :?:

F

·
0 Posts
Thank you Deysha. If others have this sound I will write it off as normal. I don't want to go through the hassle if it is considered normal behavior. It doesn't hurt anything. I only noticed it because for the first time in a year I sat in it with the key in the third position while trying to figure something out with the Sync.
No problem Bryce! Let me know if you need me. :)

Deysha

1 - 6 of 6 Posts