Ford Mustang Forum banner

Near Future Roush Supercharger Owner!

5K views 33 replies 12 participants last post by  Markthebarber 
#1 ·
So I think the time has finally come after reading numerous threads and have seen many supercharged mustangs at shows that I bite the bullet and supercharge my own 2011 Mustang GT/CS. I am almost 100% sure that I want to go with a Roush blower due to reliability, warranty issues and just over all great performance. I am planning on taking a road trip with a buddy of mine late August to Roush themselves in Michigan and having them install it. Can't get any better then that! I also plan on having them install their boost gauge and pod as well in my driver side air vent. I have read mixed things about it but it will look very clean and factory like. The only downside is I believe the stock strut brace is not compatible after the install but is so inferior compared to the huge upgrade. Any thoughts or suggestions that you guys can think of before I take this big step? Thanks in advance. :bigthumbsup

#2 ·
you won't miss the strut brace one minute...sounds like a great plan, have fun

#3 ·
That's the plan I followed with my '07' when I upgraded to the TVS and forged bottom. I figured they do it for a living and knew the short cuts and had all the tools. Had a great trip and sure enjoyed being able to go thru the shop and watch the installation. Lot of car related spots to visit.
Dave

#4 ·
Just pulled the trigger and booked my trip. Its about a 10hour drive from Jersey. Not so bad. Any ideas for while Im out there? I won't obviously have a car but Tim from Roush said he'd be willing to give me a ride back and forth from the and to the hotel. Is the boost gauge something that I should be getting installed. Is it necessary other then for cosmetic reason. I was told it is rarely every needed on such a problem free supercharger.

#17 ·
i am grew just a few miles from the roush facility - assuming its the one in livonia - with only 1 day in town i highly suggest you visit The Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village. its all things ford plus some cool historic recreations.

the boost gauge is something you could totally skip with a roush and you would only be missing out on cool factor.

enjoy your trip and your new found power.

#5 ·
Well, it's always a good thing to know how much boost you're running,if the basic stock boost is, say 7 lbs,and you' start to see a boost drop to say, 4 lbs it's probably a good indication some clamps have loosened up... it's a good tool to have installed for the sake of consistency.
If I'm running any form of forced induction, I sure would want to know where my boost is at!

#6 ·
Good point, nicely said. Any suggestion as far as which gauge to go with or stick with Roush's boost gauge.

#7 ·
Personally, Roush supercharger,mated to a Roush boost gauge... If I'm wearing an Armani suit,I'd be wearing Armani accessories!LOL

#8 ·
Makes sense, very wise man, I was thinking the same. Any other sort of upgrades should be done to the car to handle the performance of the supercharger. I was told everything else as far as power train and transmission can stay stock.

#9 ·
I wouldn't use a roush boost guage. I would get that guage that monitors everything like afr, oil and water temp, rpm and boost and alot more. Dang I don't remember what its called. Lethal performance has it.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

#11 ·
My car will be done Thursday afternoon Aug 25th, that is with them having it first thing in the morning on Wednesday the 24th. They are figuring 12 hours of labor. Not terrible. The hardest part is gonna be the ride there, the best part is gonna be the ride home! :bigthumbsup

#12 ·
You better put away some chips for new tires:) these cars are down right nasty with a blower.

You are in for a real treat and when you get into boost the acceleration is awesome.I've got about 1K on my forged 10:1 motor with Kenne Bell 2.8 and I'm starting to lean on it a bit and it just pulls like a rocketship.

#13 ·
Your going to have to do something if your running stock tires, they won't last anytime at all.
Suggest something like Nitto NTO5's. 295X45XZR18 XL 112W B, Thats what I'm installing on my GT/CS when the SuperCharger goes on in about 2 weeks.

Next you won't be able to hook up unless you do something with your lower control arms. Stock just won't do, it will sound as though you have someone beating under you back seat with a hammer everytime you really get on it. They are available from most of the sponcers here on AFM.

#14 ·
"I was told everything else as far as power train and transmission can stay stock."
I tend to agree with your statement,or most of it... my logic however tells me to look at the weakest link in your particular equation, these cars are already rated at 412 hp and 390 torque,in my opinion,the clutch is operating at it's outer fringes,so adding the kind of trust a supercharger applies to the drivetrain ( especially the clutch brings concerns to my mind.
I have not really done any research on this particular topic,and if it was me adding a supercharger I sure would want to know where that leaves me...
I guess it's better to side on the side of caution!

#15 ·
I will agree with you. However Roush as well as a few other performance shops have told me the stock clutch will be fine. We shall see. Now the hardest part is waiting until next month!

#18 ·
I swapped out the stock clutch for a Mcleod RXT with aluminum fly wheel and it makes the M-82 shift like a dream:bigthumbsup the faster you go the easier it shifts and it puts the power down instantly after each shift.

The peddle effort is like stock but it does not like to be slipped and takes some getting use to.I've heard good things about the Ram clutches but I can personally vouch for the Mcleod.

#20 ·
I know what you mean about WAITING!

I should be done in about 2 weeks!

I will post up pictures and dyno results when completed! :hihi:

Lower control arms and Nitto's being delivered today
via UPS.

#22 ·
Sounds awesome man can't wait to see pics of it. What supercharger did you go with?

#23 ·
Besides the blower and bottom end, they did change to a better clutch. I increased about the same amount as you will. Went in with 427 and left with 550 hp. Would have loved the ride home but it rained for the 10 hour drive. They also upgraded my front sway bar. Rest of the suspension was just fine. Also had them put a new set of Cooper RS3 tires on at a good discount.
Dave

#24 ·
Very nice choice in Roush S/C !

I myself have reading up on the Roush S/C vs Edelbrock S/C. Both offer warranty but one thing this makes +1 point to Edelbrock is that it only runs on 5psi and comes with it's own intake manifold. I still have not decided on which one to go.

G
#25 ·
Very nice choice in Roush S/C !

I myself have reading up on the Roush S/C vs Edelbrock S/C. Both offer warranty but one thing this makes +1 point to Edelbrock is that it only runs on 5psi and comes with it's own intake manifold. I still have not decided on which one to go.
Both superchargers come with intake manifolds and integrated intercoolers. Also both have different pulley options to change the boost pressure.

#31 ·
Not to encourage anything, but a little birdie told me a pulley change doesn't require a tune update on Whipple or TVS.[/

Very cool

#30 ·
I decided to go with the Magnsuon, Magna TVS 2300
Supercharger System in Satin Black Finish.
The unit is normally $6995.00, but my installer is doing the entire job for $7150.00 inc. custom dyno tune.
We are looking for some great numbers @ 7/8 lbs of boost, so I'm anxiously waiting for the exuiptment to arrive late next week and it to go on my baby.:laughlitt

#32 ·
That is awesome! Not too bad mine was just a few hundred more. Pretty much the same S/C from what I've read. Good luck with everything and make sure to post pictures after!

#33 ·
One thing that I was surprised while at Roush is that take all the new Eaton blowers and put them on a shelf before they change to the Roush housing. There must have been 100 sitting there but they actually mix and match parts - blue printing to get them right. Then they run them on the test fixture to 16K rpms for 10-30 secs with all kinds of sensors hooked up. Then they run it again at a more normal speed. Don't know what Eldebrok does but it would make sense. Wish I had taken pictures of that while there.
Dave

#34 ·
Dave, I will be taking plenty of pictures when I get out there and will post them. Hopefully I can get some sort of tour. Did they throw in any sort of freebie while there, tshirt, hat? I can't go a day without thinking about this. This is gonna be one long month of waiting!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.