Ford Mustang Forum banner

Need a battery

6K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  TheTrekNerd 
#1 ·
Hello, my 2014 is now my (every other)weekend car. My battery died, had that for about 3-4 years now. I was thinking of getting a deep cycle since it will only be driven for about 1-3 times a month.

Which one should fit it, and which one is a good one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I don't think you really need/want a deep cycle battery, they are made/intended for applications like boat trolling motors where the battery is deeply discharged slowly and then slowly recharged . . . in a car it is not like that, you have a fairly demanding but short power draw when you start the car, and then a quick recharge when the car is running.

If you do want to go the deep cycle route, you could go to Walmart; find the correct battery for your car (look it up in the little computer they have there) and then carry it over to the deep cycle marine batteries, and find the one that is the closest match. Most marine batteries are dual purpose deep cycle / starting these days, so that might actually be a pretty good choice.

You can kill a deep cycle battery by leaving it discharged just like any other battery. They should be kept charged just the same.

Simpler solution is to just buy a new battery when they die. I've decided I will always buy my batteries from Walmart from now on -- they seem to be cheaper and last just as long as the "better" batteries you can buy elsewhere for more money.

To keep the battery from dying during long periods when you don't drive the car, put it on a battery tender or charge it periodically.

#5 ·
I don't think you really need/want a deep cycle battery, they are made/intended for applications like boat trolling motors where the battery is deeply discharged slowly and then slowly recharged . . . in a car it is not like that, you have a fairly demanding but short power draw when you start the car, and then a quick recharge when the car is running.

If you do want to go the deep cycle route, you could go to Walmart; find the correct battery for your car (look it up in the little computer they have there) and then carry it over to the deep cycle marine batteries, and find the one that is the closest match. Most marine batteries are dual purpose deep cycle / starting these days, so that might actually be a pretty good choice.

You can kill a deep cycle battery by leaving it discharged just like any other battery. They should be kept charged just the same.

Simpler solution is to just buy a new battery when they die. I've decided I will always buy my batteries from Walmart from now on -- they seem to be cheaper and last just as long as the "better" batteries you can buy elsewhere for more money.

To keep the battery from dying during long periods when you don't drive the car, put it on a battery tender or charge it periodically.

Ok I’ll get a regular battery.

Yeah I got my last one from auto zone. Those tend not to last that long. I’ll check out Walmart.

#6 ·
. . . . In my hot rod they last about 10 years, for some reason in the Mustang maybe 5. . . . .
I think that is probably because the hot rod has no computer or fancy modern electronics; so when it is turned off, it is really turned off, and there is no power draw on the battery. But the mustang has a computer and a fancy radio with a clock and other things that are constantly drawing a little power, even when everything is supposedly turned "OFF" . . . it isn't really 100% off.

Reactions: Beechkid
#8 ·
This probably does not need saying but something to keep in mind about batteries from Walmart Autozone or anywhere for that matter is that they don't make their own batteries. They buy from the company that gives them the best deal. I've had good and bad batteries from Walmart. One that comes to mind was a garden tractor battery that only lasted 1 season from Walmart. The battery it replaced lasted 9 years! I decided to get another one of those. It was called "Werker". Took me a bit to track them down and it came from Battery Warehouse which is Batteries Plus now I think. Well the guy remembered them but they don't sell them anymore (guess they were to good) so I now have a Duracell in that tractor and it has been Ok so far for 3 years.
Someone told me years ago that there are only a half dozen or so companies that manufacture batteries. The same is true for tires. I had a friend in the tire business for his whole life and he knew who made every tire out there. That is a very shady business from the stories he told me. Mostly in the ratings and mileage they claim for them. But that's another thread...
The one that makes me laugh every time is when you ask someone what computer they bought and they say a Dell. Dell does not make a thing in that computer. They just buy parts to put it together from wherever they get the best deal.

#10 ·
This probably does not need saying but something to keep in mind about batteries from Walmart Autozone or anywhere for that matter is that they don't make their own batteries...
Everstart batteries are made exclusively by Johnson Controls for Walmart. No other manufacturers are involved.

Johnson Controls is the world’s largest battery maker and own other brands like Varta, LTH, Heliar, MAC, Delkor and even yes, they make Optima also.

#9 ·
If I could find an AGM battery in this size I'd try one. I'll try a National brand costco battery this time around. I have a Bosch from PEPboys now in this car that sits out non-sunny weather in my garage. It seams this Bosch is on it's way out at 4+ years. I watch my batteries like a hawk, use a Tender on them often. I hate surprises. Still, I get 5 years tops out of them. Yet I get 10 to 15 years out of my motorcycle AGM batteries.

#13 ·
Johnson Controls also spun off its automotive seating business too. The new business is Adient and was/is the exclusive supplier of seats to Ford including the Recaro brand. Before the spin off Johnson Controls had aquired Recaro's automotive seat buisiness.

Dave

#15 ·
I have been reading good reports on Deka batteries. My `13 GT only has less than 3,000 miles on it, but the oe battery is going on 6 years old, so I probably will try one of these as preventive maintenance.

Reactions: 5.0 Coyote
#16 ·
A simple Battery Tender is what you need!!

Do what we all do here in the Northeast .... Connect up a simple little "Battery Tender" when the car is not in use. I guarantee you won't have any battery starting problems. I leave my battery in my car, with the Tender connected all Winter, also storing motorcycles that way for years. It's the correct solution to your problem. BTW ... Motorcraft Batteries are easily the BEST and the same price as Wal-Mart (or very close). I easily get 8 + years with all the Motorcraft batteries.

#17 ·
I took out the battery out from my car and it look like I got it from o’ralleys back in 11/17. Should be cover under warranty. Didn’t know I got it not even two years ago. There is a big bump on the side of the battery..

#18 ·
Why not just get a Battery Tender. I get about 8 years out of my batteries on my toys that I only drive 1,000 miles a year. I have been using them for over 30 years without any issues.

#22 ·
One of the characteristics of an AGM battery is it tanks without warning. My wife's Dodge came with one one day everything was working just fine and the next day it would barely light the interior lights. I couldn't even jump it.

I was thinking something else was wrong until i did some research and learned about AGM batteries failing in this manner.

Dave

#20 ·
Why don't you just get a Battery Tender. My batteries last for about 10 years on the vehicles that get only occasional use. I have been using them for over 30 years, and have never had an issue with them.

Reactions: 5.0 Coyote
#21 ·
My Mustang is a driven daily, 15 miles to work. I shouldn't have to have a battery tender on it. I assume since the previous owner of my 2018 GT was a canadian rental car company, that the battery was pretty well abused from being fully discharged between rentals. So I threw a walmart battery in a couple weeks ago when I started seeing warning signs.

#25 ·
The car was still on its 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty. I was going to buy it myself just so i didn't have to deal with the dealership but the cheapest one i could find was $175.00.

I let the dealer tow it in on the cars road side assistance coverage and replace the battery under warranty.

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.