Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
background: i've owned my '05 mustang since 12/04. not a big gear head at all, but know my way around a car enough to do basic, minor work myself. i bought it in ann arbor, michigan, but only had it there for 2 months and moved to seattle, wa. i've since moved in october of last year from seattle to las vegas, nv. i've kept up with all maintenance, and only have about 36k miles on it. april of last year was the first time the check engine light came on (minor evap leak), and when i got it serviced at a dealership in seattle, it turned out it was fuel sender and pump, so i had those replaced.

now, the check engine light is on again, and when i brought it to a dealer here in vegas, they said it was the pump and sender again :cursing:. they want quite a bit to get it fixed, but after reading on how to replace the pump online, i figure i'd try it at home since it seems pretty straightforward and easy.

now, i have a few questions to seek advice on.

1. should i upgrade the pump to the frpp dual pump? i'm planning on upgrading parts on this car here and there, but would like to keep things modest and run n/a for a good bit until i can afford a supercharger. so, i was planning on picking up the jlt cai and a sct tuner right now, too since i can use the dealer repair quote as an argument for it with my wife ;). i'm guessing the frpp dual pump is overkill until i go f/i, and should save my money toward f/i.

2. could it be that it's not my fuel pump that has a leak? i mean, it's only been about 14 months since i had it replaced (missed the warranty period of the work by 2 months, fml). further, the car runs absolutely fine, and no hesitations or hiccups or anything. it's just that i won't be able to pass emissions until i clear this code up. alternatively, i have a habit of jiggling the fuel pump nozzle while its in the car at gas stations, so could it be a leak be at that point or elsewhere? the dealer said that they did a test and determined it to be the pump, but i'm reluctant to believe them b/c they were asking for about $400 more than what i paid the dealer up in seattle to do the same work a year ago. how can i look for a minor evap leak myself? i also used arco gas for a few months now since moving to vegas since it was cheap, but now am moving back to chevron and shell in case that had anything to do with it. could one of those fuel system cleaning additives help out in this situation?

advice and help greatly appreciated. thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
meh. decided to go stock pump until i have enough scratch for f/i. bought a new oem pump and will have something to do this weekend in the las vegas sun.

hope the pump turns out to be the evap culprit like the dealer says it is.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
If they want more money to fix the same thing again, I'd get a second opinion....sounds fishy.

Evap leak could be a loose gas cap.

Did you get any DATA FLI ERR's on the HUD? If so you might need to run a few bottles of Techron through the engine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If they want more money to fix the same thing again, I'd get a second opinion....sounds fishy.

Evap leak could be a loose gas cap.

Did you get any DATA FLI ERR's on the HUD? If so you might need to run a few bottles of Techron through the engine.
HUD? (i'm assuming you're referring to a heads up display, but i only have an instrument panel.)

i thought it was the cap, too, but i guess i can try replacing that first since it's cheap. i already ordered a replacement motorcraft pump, oring and lock ring. sigh. as for second opinions, every time i get an opinion, it sets me back ~$100, so there's that.

anyone recommend a good, honest ford mechanic in the las vegas area?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts