Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1980 Mustang
302 V8 (replaced original 4 cylinder)
C4 automatic transmission (replaced original 4-speed)

Hi Guys;

My 80 Stang is an old-school hot rod with a basic 302 transplant and a C4 to replace the original 4-speed (what a mistake that was!). The tranny was installed as easily and simply as possible without a neutral safety switch. However, I must install one in order to make the car pass tech for NHRA street legal drags.

I've never seen a "neutral safety switch" and have no idea where it goes or how to hook the silly thing up, but it's typical NHRA red tape and we've got to get one installed somehow. Any ideas?

I've read that the switch is really just a "Y" shaped wire with plugs at both ends. But since my Mustang began life with a manual transmission, even if I learn what a neutral safety switch is and find one, will there by anything to plug it in to?

This is an aggravating issue and I'd appreciate any advice you might have. Remember, I'm a newbie and not much of a mechanic so go easy on me. :) THANKS!!!

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
on the C4 the NSS mounts on the transmission itself. where the shift linkage hooks to the trans. if yours was removed, simply get a new one from parts house and find the wiring diagram that shows which wires to hook up. if your trans still has the switch all you have to do is the wires.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will that work even though my Mustang was originally built with a 4-speed manual? Seems as if there would have to be some sort of wiring harness that hooks into the ignition system that my car won't have because it was originally a manual tranny... ??

Many thanks for your thoughts and for walking me through this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts