Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking for some help on a motor build
i just got a xxx 302 block with the spider and dog bones that my current motor lacks
anyways for this motor i already have a edelbrock rpm 2 intake, bbk 70mm throttle body, and a x303 cam
i want a 10 second car
do i need to stroke it or supercharger i dont want a turbo
any help will help
thanx

G

·
im looking for some help on a motor build
i just got a xxx 302 block with the spider and dog bones that my current motor lacks
anyways for this motor i already have a edelbrock rpm 2 intake, bbk 70mm throttle body, and a x303 cam
i want a 10 second car
do i need to stroke it or supercharger i dont want a turbo
any help will help
thanx
stroking & power adder is just the beginning

not only do you need the financing for the motor

you will need to add at least 1/2 of the amount you have in the motor to put into your suspension

going that fast is not cheap......

·
Banned
9,214 Posts
306 CID and a 2 stage bottle, serious suspention and extreme weightloss is how my friend ran a 9.59 forceing a black flag.

G

·
306 CID and a 2 stage bottle, serious suspention and extreme weightloss is how my friend ran a 9.59 forceing a black flag.

to get a 306 to run that number i bet it has more than 2 stages of gas.....

black flack ......:headscratch:

what he running nascar.......:)

·
Registered
396 Posts
10 sec in stock block, good luck

Hear what you are saying, but not sure you will get there with stock block. I would think need both stroker and supercharger, but I just don't know if the block would hold up. If you went aftermarket block I might say doable.

In the words of David Lee Roth, "Tell us how you do."

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
luckily i know someone with a 10 second car that welds and did his suspension work himself and his rates are very resonable
his car is a carburated big block though so not the same setup
i just want to build the motor
i have heard of 500hp 302's and 347's
just dont know how they did it
i listed the parts i do have just wanted to know what else i needed or
if i need to throw them out and start with other parts that will get me to my goat

G

·
if i need to throw them out and start with other parts that will get me to my goat
Hate to be the bearer of bad news for you and your goat.....

With the parts you have

There is about 98% certainty you will not get into the 10's....

Do you have pics of the goat.....:headscratch:

This how i go 10's

Soon be faster.....:)

dart iron eagle block

pro power rotating assy

canfield 195 cnc head

victor mainfold

pro flow nitrous kit

mega amount of suspension work.....

Attachments

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Yeah guys are seeing the new Generations of HIPO Stangs running high 6 second passes and think running 10's should be an easy chore, trust me it isn't with a small block ford and No power adder or even as reggie said 2 stages of juice! And like mentioned 60 ft times are the most important number on your track slip followed by trap speed, you gotta get the power to the ground!

·
Registered
616 Posts
A 351 stroked to a 408 with AFR Heads should get you there.
Plus beefing up your transmission and suspension.
There a Mustang with a 408 N/A at the track that I run at that run's Super Street index 10.90 with a delay box. This car will run low 10's without the delay box.

·
Registered
978 Posts
you can do it with a S/C or a stroker it would be easier with the S/C then just a stroker unless you are gone to S/C the stroker also. the parts you have will get you started but you will need much more. the stock block will work but it will be on a limited life span and you are gone to have to keep a very safe tune in it. I have a customer that is running 7.00s in the 1/8 that is real close to a 10.99/ or is with nothing more then a 306 stock short block other then the pistons and a set of stock GT40P heads and a b-cam. and 14psi of boost a ported Cobra intake and a 75mm t/b and a 95mm mass air and 42# inj. it has been running for a few years now. it still has stock rear control arms and all but has 4cly. springs all the way around strange adj. struts up front 4.10 gears and a c-4 with a 4000 stall. only tune it has is what we could do with a wrench a DVM and a timing light. it is a very simple setup BUT it is on the edge and he knows it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i forgot i have a c&l inlet pipe and 76mm maf
i am also going to look at some afr 165 heads today i saw on craigslist
and a paxton novi 2000
all i would need now are some rods and pistons, fuel injectors, fuel pressure regulator, oil pump and i should have a buildable motor
what do you think it would run
close to 10's maybe a twelve
if i get the heads and novi today im not going to have alot of money left for killer pistons or rods so i may have to go stock

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
It's a BIG jump from 12's to 10's. It's highly doubtful you'll get there with a stock 5.0 block, you need to make reliable power that you'll be able to get to the ground.
A 500 hp 347 does happen, but you'll need a lot more than AFR 165's can give you. Those are good for mid to low 13's, not 10's.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wow my car is running 14.6 to 14.9 right now
all thats installed is underdrive pulleys new clutch
bbk offroad pipes with flowmasters
and some flat cam i dont know which one i got the car that way
i would of thought adding c&l 76mm maf with 76mm inlet, edelbrock rpm 2 intake, bbk 70mm throttlebody, x303cam, and maybe afr heads would get me more than that off my times
i got the block to build cause i wanted a roller motor back in it and didnt want to put my car down
and instead of putting all the new parts in my motor thats in the car i got a block and heard 347 would be the way to go
if i cant get tens with this setup what could i realisticly expect with these mods

·
Registered
978 Posts
Umm like said 12s to 10s is a HUGE jump....... the 165s would get the job done but there are better heads out there. you really need to set a plan and stick to it you keep talking 347 also so while a 10 can be done with a 347 it is not gone to be real street friendly in the end. the boosted effort will get you there easier. No one said you are gone to need killer pistons but forged would be a real good idea with boost. the 2000 can get you to the 10s with no problems at all they are killer S/C but we are still back to the block you are gone to have to keep the tune safe. and that means a good fuel system big injectors and a good pump or even 2 pumps. It can be done I have did it with my old set up and like I said my one of my customers is right there also. Do some more reading on other sites it is not that uncommon.

G

·
you can build a 10 sec street friendly 347......

but it will require a some form of power adder....

as i have said so many times there is more to going 10's than horsepower

there has to be a balance with the suspension.....

and to do that and keep it street usable is not going to be a bargin build....

·
Registered
978 Posts
you can build a 10 sec street friendly 347......

but it will require a some form of power adder....

as i have said so many times there is more to going 10's than horsepower

there has to be a balance with the suspension.....

and to do that and keep it street usable is not going to be a bargin build....
Yes he can build a street friendly 10sec 347 with a power adder I meant a NA 347 I know I didn't say it that way.

G

·
Yes he can build a street friendly 10sec 347 with a power adder I meant a NA 347 I know I didn't say it that way.

i was just being me embellishing the thread......:)

But you are 100% correct a N/A 10 sec 347 would not street use friendly.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.