Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it's been awhile since I have posted, guess the horse has been just running to good. Anyway I am starting on a new project, putting a HO 302 in an 88 Ranger. I found out the Ranger has a roller cam and was wondering if it would be worth swapping it into my 89 Mustang ? I have been really impressed with the 89, it's might be slow off the line but it is giving me 30 to 32 MPG with the A/C on, which is a must have here in Arizona, and that's running at 75 MPH at least 80 % of the time.

·
Boss Member
4,627 Posts
I have one in the 2.3 turbo. As far as power I couldn't tell any. I got it for free so why not. I have read helps to add adjustable cam gear and set it. [Can't remember which way advance or retard] I am sure a search on net could find out. I never add a adjustable gear. My thoughts. Maurice

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
The RR roller cam is a waste of time. Its smaller than a stock cam and its an emission oriented cam. Some of the Ranger cams have different rockers. Their valve stems are THINNER and the rockers are different from a standard 2.3. iF A CAM CHANGE IS YOUR DESIRE Get a BO PORT 1.9 and his install kit. Peace Tom

:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
87 Posts
The RR roller cam is a waste of time.....iF A CAM CHANGE IS YOUR DESIRE Get a BO PORT 1.9 and his install kit.
Even on an n/a? Tom I think you are in turbo mode. In an 89 n/a it should free up a couple of ponies

·
Registered
730 Posts
Even on an n/a? Tom I think you are in turbo mode. In an 89 n/a it should free up a couple of ponies
No, he's right. It's not worth the time it takes to swap. Your better off buying a actual performance cam.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
YES I am in turbo land. Remember a turbo charged engine uses MILD overlap and high lift to obtain its power band. Just like an NA MOTOR. The RR is a very POOR choice for an NA MOTOR

Here is what you do. Drive a stock ranger and it will change your MIND IMMEDIATELY. Peace Tom:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guess I never should have started this post, Murphys Law took over it would seem. Haven't had a bit of trouble till coming home from work Sunday night, it died 3 times on the freeway only for a few seconds but when I was getting off on the ramp it quit but fortunatly I had the light and was able to cost it around the corner and into a close parking lot. Figured the TFI went but after a few minutes it started up again so with home being a few miles away I hoped for the best. It spit and sputtered and missed but made it. Picked up a new TFI and coil and did the remote TFI mount. Drove it to work 2 days no problem, went to buy food sitting at the light and it died just like shutting the key off. Wouldn't restart again. Had a friend drag me home. Unhooked the strap and tried it still no start, push it up into the driveway and for S & G's hit the key and it strated right up...... Here we go again... Has fuel pressure, cranks just fine, just no fire..

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
PIP Always change the PIP and the TFI together.:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Boss Member
4,627 Posts
Tom I agree. Like I said only put mine in was free and mine was bad. Maurice

·
Boss Member
4,627 Posts
Tom I agree. Mine was free and original was bad. Maurice

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hmmmm...well thanks for setting me straight. I was under the impression that it was a step up for the non roller n/a. Might have to take that one off the list of things to do this summer. :)

·
Registered
730 Posts
Just buy a cam kit. They aren't that expensive and are a great bang for your buck.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Eventually I probably will but I have to get it running again first, no power to the coil so in the dash we go......

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
NO NO NO NO The battery feed to the COIL comes from the IGNITION SWITCH. The switches go bad all the time. If the switch is OK the FUSE link for the coil is 20Gauge BLUE N. Make sure its ok before tearing things OUT:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
When I first built the 2.3 for my Turbo Coupe, I put in a Ranger Roller just to get a roller cam in there. Had it in for about 2 months and found a really good deal on a Motorsport A237 so I swapped that it...now THAT was a swap worth making :bigthumbsup Car hauled ass with that cam!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts