Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and gals

To make the story short i believe i cracked it, the clunking noise coming from the bellhousing is pretty annoying so it either cracked or something is lose but i'm almost positive is the flex plate. Friend of mine who has a mechanic shop will bring down the transmission but i have to buy the new part and i'm not so sure which one should i get.

I was checking this one out last night but i need advise before proceeding to buy it .. 26467 Mustang Performance Automatic Flexplate SFI Approved 164 Tooth 28Oz Balance 289/302/351W AOD 1965-1980 | CJ Pony Parts

don't forget my car has a 289 bored .30 over and the AOD is a PKA pre-fuel injection early 80s. thanks in advanced

Jose

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
looks good but I would make sure its a 164 and not a 157tooth.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
looks good but I would make sure its a 164 and not a 157tooth.

Thanks! i'm bringing the transmission down in 2 weeks at a friend's shop i really don't feel like doing this task.

Jose

·
Registered
1,894 Posts

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Have you removed the inspection plate and peered into the cavity looking for any signs of crack or stress on the engine side?
Just another thought.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Most all AOD's require the 164 tooth Flexplate. As long as you order the 164 tooth with a 28oz imbalance, you should be fine.

you need the 164 tooth because of your AOD. You need it 28 oz imbalance because of your 289.

There's a lot to choose from and many less that the price of the one from CJ's

http://www.summitracing.com/search?...=Ascending&keyword=164 tooth flexplate, 28 oz

Those are very reasonable prices! will the 28 oz do fine even if the engine is bored .30 over ?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you removed the inspection plate and peered into the cavity looking for any signs of crack or stress on the engine side?
Just another thought.
I stuck a flathead screwdriver between the cover and the flex plate and i felt as if the flex plate kind of moved it was a weird sensation as if something was wrong. I know these tend to crack around the middle where is almost impossible to see when hooked up to the engine, i'm almost sure is the flexplate this time. thanks for the thought though

Jose

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Turns out I was wrong about the flex plate it's the torque converter looks like I'm going to have to repair the transmission.... oh well i'll let the experts tell me what to do next.

Jose

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Hi
Fyi, the converter is separate from the transmission. So, don't get hung up on a tranny repair when all you need is a Tq.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi
Fyi, the converter is separate from the transmission. So, don't get hung up on a tranny repair when all you need is a Tq.

Thanks for the advice kenash but im worried is more than just the torque converter when we removed it and started draining it we found so much metal deposits in the oil, there is something wrong but i have no idea now.. worst case scenario get me a new AOD transmission will see what the transmission shop says.

Jose

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Thanks for the advice kenash but im worried is more than just the torque converter when we removed it and started draining it we found so much metal deposits in the oil, there is something wrong but i have no idea now.. worst case scenario get me a new AOD transmission will see what the transmission shop says.

Jose
Hi,
Any history on the tranny? Have you driven this car previously with this transmission. If you learn tranny needs rebuilding, An AOD is a great way to go, if you want an automatic. It will allow a lower rear ratio for faster acceleration without giving up fuel mileage or high cruising Rs.
Good Luck

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi,
Any history on the tranny? Have you driven this car previously with this transmission. If you learn tranny needs rebuilding, An AOD is a great way to go, if you want an automatic. It will allow a lower rear ratio for faster acceleration without giving up fuel mileage or high cruising Rs.
Good Luck

Hi Ken

I bought my car 2 years ago and it came with a rebuilt engine .30 over and this AOD transmission which thanks to the guys around here i found out it was a pre-fuel injection AOD. Don't have any more info and i lost all contact information with the late owner long time ago. If this old AOD is done for or fixing it will cost me as much as a new i'll make sure of getting me a newer one for sure. i was pretty happy with gas consumption.

Jose

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
monster transmission sells a pretty reasonably priced aod transmission. I wish I had gone with one of their rebuilds when i did my last one. it would have cost me less in the long run.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
monster transmission sells a pretty reasonably priced aod transmission. I wish I had gone with one of their rebuilds when i did my last one. it would have cost me less in the long run.

Totally agree with you little over $1200 for a rebuilt monster transmission and free shipping is a bargain and from what i saw you get 3 years of warranty that's awesome. Tomorrow i'll find out how much it will cost me to rebuilt mine but if is any closer to 800 bucks i will get me this one asap. I can keep the dipstick tube and few other things that will save me some money. The only thing i hate is taking the bottom apart to remove the lever for my quicksilver ratchet shifter. thanks for the info this was much appreciate it!

Jose

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got word from the transmission shop not good though, i was told i'm better off buying a rebuilt one than rebuilding my own. Plan b is to buy one from Monster Transmissions and i almost placed the order but i'm not sure of the tail housing length of my old transmission. Monster's website gives you two options 10-1/4 and 11-1/4 . any idea which can it be is just an inch of difference but i'm sure it's crucial. i don't have my old AOD transmission with me that's why i'm asking. thanks again.

Jose

1 - 15 of 15 Posts