Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is my first mustang and i love it.and my first v6 and i love it.all i have ever had in the past are v8.so what i am asking you all is what brand of oil you all recommend for my v6.in my v8 i have allways used valvoline.for the oil filter i am going to use k&n.:headscratch:

thank you for all your help..2007 v6 redfire.no up grades yet but coming soon..:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
263 Posts
I think most on here would recommend running full synthetic oil. I prefer Royal Purple, many use Mobil 1 or Amsoil as well. I also used Valvoline synthetic and that seemed fine as well. The K&N filter is nice because of the socket fitting on the bottom. Most on here would not recommend Fram filters, but a number of other ones including NAPA, Motorcraft, or Mobil 1 should be fine.

Get under that Stang and get your hands dirty!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for the info.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Quaker State Horsepower is my choice of oil

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
A synthetic oil is definatly superior to standard dino oil.

A true synthetic start with a PAO base stock. AFAIK, Royal Purple, Amsoil, and Redline are the only ones generally available. It's expensive, but provides a lot of protection, and can suffer a lot of abuse. I use Royal Purple in my track car; it ghets abused a lot.

Semi-synthetics start with a group II or IV dead dinosaur base stock. They are not a true synthetic. These include Mobile 1, Penzoil, Valvoline, Quaker state, etc. These are good oils, much cheaper than PAO oils, and provide all the protection a street car will ever need. I generally use Quaker State or Penzoil in my street cars.

I never recommend Mobile 1. It's a good oil - nothing wrong with it. But it's priced like a PAO, so I don't think it's a good value. And, I don't like their bait and switch tactics.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I think most on here would recommend running full synthetic oil. I prefer Royal Purple, many use Mobil 1 or Amsoil as well. I also used Valvoline synthetic and that seemed fine as well. The K&N filter is nice because of the socket fitting on the bottom. Most on here would not recommend Fram filters, but a number of other ones including NAPA, Motorcraft, or Mobil 1 should be fine.

Get under that Stang and get your hands dirty!

Why would you not recommend FRAM filters? I just put one in on my last oil change :(

·
Registered
263 Posts
Why would you not recommend FRAM filters? I just put one in on my last oil change :(

It's not me, I actually used a Fram in my first oil change on my car a few months ago. I have read on here that the Fram filters have some design problems, so I was just passing on that info. Someone more knowledgeable than me can probably give the details.

·
Registered
242 Posts
We use Valvoline, and Motorcraft in all of our vehicles, and have for 30 years, with no problems.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I found this study on oil filters very informational.

Oil Filters Revealed - MiniMopar Resources

According to this guy you should never use Fram Extra Guard because pieces of the filter can deteriorate and enter you engine, Fram Tough Guard is a higher quality. Basically, you get what you pay for.

What's shocking is that most of the different brands are made by just a few companies, none of which are very good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.