Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Regarding - 70 mustang convertible
I recently was told I could put 225/60/15's on the front and was also recommended to put 235/60/15 on the back. I put them on and the front tires rub. We even switched them to 215/60/15 and they still rub a little. They are mounted on 15X7 Magnum 500's and the back tires are on 15X8 Magnums. The car does have a disc brake conversion. I don't know if this would make a difference. Please any advise would be greatly appreciated. The car does look great.

·
Registered
77 Posts
See if you can identify just what, exactly, the tires are rubbing against. The tire/wheel combo should fit. You might have a fender brace misaligned, or something like that. However, the disc conversion may have widened your front track width just enough to make it rub. If that is the case, you may have to use different wheels with more backspace. To check this, use two jacks and raise the front off the ground at the lower ball joints, remove the tires and get an accurate measurement from hub-to-hub. Call your local alignment shop and see what it's supposed to be. :cool:

·
Registered
27 Posts
tire width for a 70

I have a 70 Coupe I am working on. I have yet to fit my 15x8 wheels as the car is still on blocks just now. I was under the impression they would fit with 225 or 235 on the front and 245 rear. I havent purchased tires yet so it would be nice to now if those tires will fit.
I have an old pair of 245x60x15 laying around I could try.
Anyone tried this already?

G

·
I actually just called Wilwood, cause I'm gonna put their kit on my Mustang. And they said that their kit extends the track width 1" on each side!! Yeah, not 1" altogether, 1" on EACH side!!! Am I the only person that thinks that's a bit excessive? That means I'd have to add an entire 1" to my backspacing. NUTS!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
an extra inch each side, jeeez

an extra inch each side?? damn! I dont care how good wilwood is I would not be changing my geometry that much and paying thousands to do it!!!! Upgrade to 70 brakes and spindles (and tie rod ends)

Why dont you put that cash into one of those independent front suspension units that comes with bigger brakes, power rack, lowered nicely, better handling whole job in one piece units. I saw one on ebay today, look for "Heidts 1964 to 1970 Mustang or Cougar IFS 11" disks power rack" its about $1800 and a lot of work . Looks like it would work well though and everything is done then, suspension, brakes, handling, steering.

There are other front end upgrades that include brakes too, I would be looking at those if thats the best wilwood can do.

OOPs, looks like we sorta slipped off topic for a moment, but that could well explain the problem Mustang70 is seeing with the tires rubbing. What kind of disk brake conversion was it? Have you measured your track now after the brake upgrade?

cheere n beers

·
Registered
103 Posts
Exactly where are they rubbing? On the outer fender lip or on the upper control arms on the inside of the car? Usually the upper control arm is the issue and it's due to the wheel backspace, not the tire size.

15x7s should have a 4-3/8" backspace and the 15x8s should have a 4-1/2" backspace. I would expect the 15x7s with the 4-3/8" BS to work ok since they're 15" diameter wheels. The 15" puts the rubber out a 1/2' more than a 14" wheel so they usually work without control arm issues. If it's the outer fender lip, you're limited to the height of the car. If you've lowered the car or the old springs are sagging, not much you can do but raise the car....

I have 225/60/14s on the front and 235/60/14s on the rear both on 7x14 styled steel wheels with 4-1/4" backspace on my '66. The fronts are close to the conrol arm but they have worked fine for 3 years now with no rubbing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.