Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
07-09-07_1601.jpg

Here is what I'm starting with, 1998 Mustang GT. Paint was recently scratched up badly by my Doberman. Getting the car repainted and the factory gold ribbon is no longer available. I want the car to stand out and be original like it was before. I cant decide whether to paint the hood and tops of fenders gloss black, flat black, or paint the entire top half of the car from front to back gloss black. If i do the entire car front to back I will be tinting the windows to match and be trying to locate ready to paint mirrors to be painted gloss black as well. some sort of pin striping will separate the Rio red from the black but I haven't decided on that either. What do you guys think. The car is going to be getting a suspension kit as well to drop it a few inches so the new rims and tires I get will fill up the wheel wells better, just not sure what the best kit will be, any suggestions? I'm going 19's in the rear and 18's in the front.
If you have pics of what Im thinking of doing it would be great to see what it could turn out like. Honest opinions, if you think its going to look bad then tell me, if anyones going to be truthfull it is going to be all of you. Thank you very much everyone and I look foreward to hearing from you.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Why is the gold unavailable. I would think a paint shop would be able to do this? Either way if you really want to stand out Id go black on bottom and orange on top. Theres a place in Santa Claus, IN called JAWS collision center. They did a 1995 Mustang like that and it looks AWESOME. But if your just painting the top half Id go with gloss black on top. Itd look good too

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
i think 100% black, with tint and paint ur gold pony black i love the blacked out look with chrome rims.. and 19 in rear:nono:
i dont much care for any bigger than 18's on the sn95's id say go 17 up front with 18 in the back and a 1/2 to 3/4 drop rear and a inch in the front.. will look fantastic.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm going with a graphite grayish color with black racing stripes hopefully within the next couple of weeks.

·
Registered
715 Posts
How deep are the scratches? Are they past the clear coat and into the paint? If not you can cut the clear coat down with Meguiars Ultimate Compound(best stuff in the world) and remove them all without leaving swirl marks or light scratches on the clear. If they are into the paint I would suggest painting the Stang Gloss Black with a Matte Black ribbon.
Would look excellent :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The gold ribbon was a oem decal from ford, they discontinued it. The scratches are through the clear coat, Im actuallt claiming it as comprehensive on my auto insurance so the car has to be painted the stock color so it matches the engine compartment and door jams. Butttttt, my body shop said they could paint the ribbon back on for me. Its just when I bought the mustang it was the only one with the ribbon in town, and since then there are several othes in town that are differant colors but still have the same style ribbon on the hood. I cant have something everyone else has...lol...
My paint guy has agreed to do some custom work if I want for just the cost of tape and prep....So I figured why not. I think what Ive decided on is to go two tone, gloss black up top and even have the mirrors and what the hell ever that plastic thing below the windshield is called painted gloss black as well. Im going to black out the windows to match, probably pick up the Eibach Pro-Systems Plus kit , and then stagger some black wheels, maybe 19's back and 18's front depending on what fits best.
Thanks for the tips everyone

·
Registered
715 Posts
Wow. I dig that paint man. How much did it set you back?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
510.00...haha
My doberman and Bird dog scratched the crap out of the paint while I was gone, 4800.00 in damage, so when I got home I called my auto insurance agent and she said it would go on as a comprehensive claim. The factory gold decal wasnt availible anymore so the body shop said they would paint it on for me if I liked. Welll that got me thinking, there are 8 or so other stangs with variations in color of that ribbon and I dont like being like everyone else. So i asked if we could get away with going 2 tone black and the origional rio red with a silver pin stripe. They said they would do it for an additional 250.00 ontop of my 240.00 deductable for time and labor to mask it off...And by the time I got back home it was done...I was kinda worried about how it would turn out, I had never seen another stang my year painted that way. But that was the point i guess :bigthumbsup The stock headlights made it look raaaatarded so i ordered the smoked halos and it made a world of differance. Also the white plates were distacting so I picked up fogged lic plate covers and they helped alot. Had a new 40 series cat back system put on this week as well. So Im gradually making my way to having something I enjoy driving when Im in town. :smilie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.