Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this is my first time doing anything like this so I am going very slow. I want to pull my engine and transmission in my '91 5.0. The transmission is an automatic. So far I have removed the upper air intake, alternator, A/C pump, power steering pump, smog pump, and driveshaft. I also disconnected the one linkage I saw between the auto stick and the transmission. It looks to me like the only thing holding it in is the bolts that hold the engine to the frame and possibly some bolts on the transmission. Am I missing anything? I want to rent a crane in a week or so and pull it all out as one unit. Is it ok to pull them out together or do I need to do it separately? Any advise? Thanks.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to mention that the exhaust is also removed up to and including the headers.

·
Registered
100 Posts
It seems to me that it would be alot easier for you to pull the tranny and motor out together. It may be a little harder to do when pulling it out, but you don't have to worry about bolting the transmission back up to the motor, so it would be one less thing for you to worry about. Make sure you have all of your wiring harness disconnected and make sure the EGR system is completely disconnected from the motor. From there, simply unbolt the TRANSMISSION from the CROSSBRACE and unbolt the MOTOR MOUNTS from the FRAME. Connect your cherry picker to the car and raise the motor slightly. Unbolt the transmission CROSSBRACE from the car and then pull the assembly out. :thumbsup

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So there is really just four bolts holding it all in. Two on each side holding the engine to the motor mounts and two holding the transmission to the crossbrace correct? And is there any trick to removing the crossbrace or do I just unbolt it once the engine is supported on the crane?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Pretty much. Loosen the bolts, then support the engine with the hoist. After you've done that, get a floor jack or some wood or something to put under the tailshaft to support the transmission when you unbolt the crossbrace. Make sure you have at least two people to pull the motor. One to work the hoist and another to guide the transmission under the vehicle. Get more people if you can. Do not get under the tailshaft, transmission, or motor at any time while it is supported by the lift!! It should only take about 30 minutes at most to pull the motor out since everything is unhooked.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any tricks to getting the crossbrace off once the engine is supported by the hoist or does it just unbolt? Also, is it better to have the front of the car up on jackstands while doing this so I can access the transmission easier or should the car be on the floor?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.