Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm rebuilding a 69 coupe for my wife (yeah right). She really wanted a 6cyl because of economy and she doesn't intend on driving it too hard. The parts car has a 200 cid that looks good on the outside. The old oil is not too dark and the tranny that is in the car has clean fluid also. The car I'm working on has a running 250 cid that needs a rebuild. At least a valve job will be needed and I thought I may as well go through the whole thing. Before I figured out the difference in engine sizes my original thought was to rebuld the motor in the parts car so she could still drive the other car as I made progress on all the restoration I could before taking the driveable car out of commission. That way she could drive her car for a longer period before i tore into it. What I will actually be doing is taking things off the driveable car and putting them into the parts car. The whole undercarriage of the drivable car is rusted something terrible. The donor car is rust free and just needs everything from the car with the 250 cid. So what would you do? keep a number matching engine in the final project. Put in the larger engine. Or convince her to put in a 289 or a 302. I haven't found many parts for the 250. the 200 seems to have alot of parts out there but not near as much as a small block V-8.
Thanks
Jim

G

·
Sounds like a great project. I think I would go with 289 V8 but hang onto the original 6 cylinder. From what I understand it is not that difficult to convert your 6 cylinder pony to a small block V8. The 289 engine is a sweet heart. I would definately take the performance over the fuel economy besides the 289 is not much harder on fuel. One thing for sure your pony would have alot more get up and go, and from my perspective more fun to drive. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
682 Posts
A 250ci car basically is a V8 car. They use a V8 8" rear, and 5-lug V8 front suspension and brakes. You'd need a radiator, engine, and V8 engine bay wiring, and V8 motor mounts. It's a lot easier than doing it on any other year, and it looks like it would be about $250 in new parts plus a motor. I'd do it in a microsecond :D
HTH

·
Registered
197 Posts
6 or V8

Guys

The 250 car is best to do. Believe it or not the hard stuff is done. You have the suspension, you have the brakes and probably good rear gears. Mustangs Plus has the new adjustable motor mounts 5.0,302 or 351 sits in there as pretty as you please. I had a custom radiator built 4 core 24 inch with a flex or clutch fan and it is a done deal. A piece of cake.

Don't do the 200. It is a snake pit. That is what I started with. It is really more work and money than it is worth unless there is one big special reason driving you like your wife and that was the car you went on your honeymoon in and you were the first owner. Do the 250, you won't be sorry.

Jess

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just about got her convinced to let me drop a 289 or a 302 in it. A Fastback blew past us yesterday with a really sweet sound and I told he a six would not sound like that. Even though I have heard so nice sounding 6's.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.