Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to put a performance cam in my 2.3. what is a good one? its a 93 so its already roller.

·
Registered
69 Posts
hondahunter93 said:
i want to put a performance cam in my 2.3. what is a good one? its a 93 so its already roller.
If you wanna go a cheaper route... if you wanna go to the junk yard you can yank the Cam from a 1983-86 Turbo Coupe, a 1987-88 Turbo Coupe, a 1985-89 Merkur XR4Ti, or an SVO mustang... there are some mild performance gains achieved by going this route, but if you wanna do a bit of research... you can get an Esslinger Engineering Cam.

·
Registered
16 Posts
LXR4Ti said:
If you wanna go a cheaper route... if you wanna go to the junk yard you can yank the Cam from a 1983-86 Turbo Coupe, a 1987-88 Turbo Coupe, a 1985-89 Merkur XR4Ti, or an SVO mustang... there are some mild performance gains achieved by going this route, but if you wanna do a bit of research... you can get an Esslinger Engineering Cam.

So the TC's are roller cam?? I thought just the rangers and '91+ mustangs were roller. Let me know, there are 3-4 TC's at the local wrecker. the turbo stuff is gone, but the heads are all there... :kooky:

I would lamost consider pull an entire motor, but given that it is all rock and mud a cherry picker will never work and they do not have anything onsite (stupid as the used to)

·
Registered
69 Posts
lamrith said:
So the TC's are roller cam?? I thought just the rangers and '91+ mustangs were roller. Let me know, there are 3-4 TC's at the local wrecker. the turbo stuff is gone, but the heads are all there... :kooky:

I would lamost consider pull an entire motor, but given that it is all rock and mud a cherry picker will never work and they do not have anything onsite (stupid as the used to)
The Rangers are the only roller cam motors. but the roller cam only gives you a gain in the perspective of less friction... IMO. I run Flat Tappet Cams only so far. My XR is non-roller. the cam in it will povide a noticable difference in the torque and HP Curve for sure.

If I go roller... I goin Aftermarket... but for now... my resources for getting Flat Tappet Cams arent dry... and the cam in my car will still allow me room up to 200-225HP.

My Advise to anyone who wishes for a Real Substantial HP Gain... Get a Whole 2.3T Car as a Donor for parts... Swap the ECM, Harness, and motor. It is a difference to go from 80HP to 145-180HP by swappin on the turbo motor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
LXR4Ti said:
The Rangers are the only roller cam motors. but the roller cam only gives you a gain in the perspective of less friction... IMO. I run Flat Tappet Cams only so far. My XR is non-roller. the cam in it will povide a noticable difference in the torque and HP Curve for sure.

If I go roller... I goin Aftermarket... but for now... my resources for getting Flat Tappet Cams arent dry... and the cam in my car will still allow me room up to 200-225HP.

My Advise to anyone who wishes for a Real Substantial HP Gain... Get a Whole 2.3T Car as a Donor for parts... Swap the ECM, Harness, and motor. It is a difference to go from 80HP to 145-180HP by swappin on the turbo motor.
I was just reading on another board that the 91-93 dual plug stangs were also roller?

I never see TC's for sale around here, the only place I see them is in the JY.

·
Registered
69 Posts
lamrith said:
I was just reading on another board that the 91-93 dual plug stangs were also roller?

I never see TC's for sale around here, the only place I see them is in the JY.
DPH Stang 2.3L's may be roller but no turbo motor is a roller cam at all.... or at least any 1987 1988 TC I have seen stock were.

·
Registered
16 Posts
yeah I noticed that when I was there. All the TC cams I saw were slipper style and worn :-/

In fact there was not a slipper cam in the place that was not heavilly worn on the nose :?:

I definitely want to find a roller to use just to avoid any problem in the future

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my 93 is roller, i know that for sure, but what is a good size cam to get

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.