Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I recently got my 2005 mustang and I love everything about it. I've been really careful with the way I've been driving and havent had any trouble with the police until today. I got pulled over for doing 85 in a 55.....not too hot. I thought i wasnt going to get a ticket bc my record was clean, but the statetrooper didnt agree and he gave it to me hard. I am obviously going to court in a few weeks, but what should I expect in the near future? What should I do/think about doing.

I am sure that I am not the only one with this problem. Please let me know what you guys did in your situation....should i plead guilty or try to fight it? i'm pretty much freaking out now bc its apparently a 5 point ticket.

I greatly appreciate it
Thanks

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Well, it would be kind of hard to fight it and win, unless he wrote down some wrong info on the ticket. Make sure you look at it carefully. Other than that, i have no idea how you could fight it and pull it off unless your speedometer is off.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
It really doesn't matter if your record was clean or not, 30 over is 30 over. Usually you can get it reduced to a lower over the limit but don't count on it. Good luck!
Dave

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I don't know the law in New Jersey, but at least if you were in my state:
1: 30mph over the speed limit would be a mandatory court appearance for reckless driving, at least in my state.
2: the only way to fight it and win is to hope the trooper doesn't show up to court.
3: See if they will let you do a difference program (1st ticket they will usually let you, but with it being 30 over, I don't remember if there is a limit to how much over the limit you can be).
4: I don't remember the exact term (it would be "no lo contendre" in criminal court) but in some states there is a plea where you just pay the fine, but you aren't admitting guilt you are just not challenging it, but you may or may not be able to do that if you are going to court.
Each state's laws are different, but at least this is how it usually works for me.

·
Registered
218 Posts
My girlfriend got caught running about as fast as you and she went to the clerks office at the courthouse wanting to ask some questions about the ticket and they let her talk to the judge and she told him that she wasn't rushing anywhere, just enjoying her vehicle a little too much and he told her to come back into his court and plead this or that and explain everything again. They reduced her speed to 5 over so she wouldn't get any points and gave her a stern warning. My advice is to go to the court and see who you can talk to and throw yourself on their mercy......

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Did you get caught by radar from the sky? If so you could plead no contest on the grounds that it was hearsay. You would then be dismissed. IF not plead guilty and ask for driving school.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Yea just go to records and talk to the payment clerk, if you just say you are fine with paying the fine, but could it get reduced to a non-moving violation. Usually they will help you out. My dad always does this with his tickets and ends up paying for a "seatbelt" or "parking ticket"

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I have an idea: let's all get together and have the laws of physics changed so that 30 over in a 55 zone isn't really dangerous because only an idiot would drive like that if it were really dangerous, right?

"Ipso facto, QED
, Judge: I wouldn't do anything that stupid if it were dangerous, but since I did it it must not be dangerous, so I should pay a seatbelt fine and go on my merry way. Just like my father before me. Right?"

If I were convinced the experience was enough of an inconvenience and embarrassment in itself, a seatbelt fine might be OK. But I'm not.

In my state, 30 over leaves the officer with the option to ARREST AND JAIL the miscreant. If you didn't go to jail you already got a break! Count your blessings, go to Court, and sin no more.

The Right Reverend Frank spake thus.

·
Registered
441 Posts
In my state, 30 over leaves the officer with the option to ARREST AND JAIL the miscreant. If you didn't go to jail you already got a break! Count your blessings, go to Court, and sin no more.
+1 on this.

Connecticut and Cali share alot of the same laws. I'm not 100% sure, but I think you can get arrested here for doing 80mph.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
+1 on this.

Connecticut and Cali share alot of the same laws. I'm not 100% sure, but I think you can get arrested here for doing 80mph.
Not a chance. You might get arrested if they run your license and they find back fines, or other things but that's it. They won't even pull you over for doing 80 in a 65 most times.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I would pray that the officer doesn't show up, that's your best bet. But some advice would be to be respectful no matter what, even if the statey is a piece of work because the usually are.

·
Registered
889 Posts
You're already lucky. Here, as a general rule of thumb, anything 25+ over and they put the cuffs on you and tow the car regardless of 1st offense or not. You're considered a dangerous hazard to other drivers at that point.

That's why I wait for really long stretches where I can see a long ways to open 'er up and save my test runs for 4:00am when the highways are clear.

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
I know a few officers in NJ and you can only get away with 9mph over the limit without getting a ticket if he's in a good mood.
But don't quote me on that..

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm not familiar with the laws in your area, there isn't a point system here, but I wouldn't worry a whole lot or lose any sleep, what happens, happens. I doubt you'll lose your DL. Here you CANNOT be arrested for speeding. (And Open Container) Not even for 50 over. But if you can tack on another charge you can be. (I.E. Reckless driving, failure to maintain single lane, LP lamp out, ect.) The first Offense I would be VERY surprised if you lose your DL. How many points does it take to lose your DL there?

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
Hey everyone,

I recently got my 2005 mustang and I love everything about it. I've been really careful with the way I've been driving and havent had any trouble with the police until today. I got pulled over for doing 85 in a 55.....not too hot. I thought i wasnt going to get a ticket bc my record was clean, but the statetrooper didnt agree and he gave it to me hard. I am obviously going to court in a few weeks, but what should I expect in the near future? What should I do/think about doing.

I am sure that I am not the only one with this problem. Please let me know what you guys did in your situation....should i plead guilty or try to fight it? i'm pretty much freaking out now bc its apparently a 5 point ticket.

I greatly appreciate it
Thanks
Don’t bother trying to fight it without a lawyer. Lawyers, Judges, etc, etc are all part of the “Club”. If you go to court without a Lawyer the Judge will consider it an insult to his profession and Justice and do absolutely nothing for you. And when picking a Lawyer get one that deals with the district you will be going to court in. Chances are that the Lawyer will have a friendly relationship with Prosecutors, Judges and maybe even Officers. In this situation you can sometimes get it knocked down before you even go up in front of the judge.

I got a 124 in a 55 knocked down to a 5 over because my Lawyer knows everyone in this District and at one point a lot of people wanted him to run for Judge. My Lawyer stepped aside with the Prosecutor and the Cop for no more than three minutes and came back too me and said “How about 5 over?” Needless to say I was all for it despite having to wash and wax his plane for payment.:D For this to work you can’t be an A hole to the Cop when you get pulled over though. Your best bet is to keep your mouth shut and be as polite as possible. You don’t want to stand out in their mind.

Good Luck.......and next time run:scratchchin

·
Registered
365 Posts
Where were you? I hope you weren't on the GSP in that stretch that they lowered the limit....
30 over is a lot to ask for them to overlook or kick down.......

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Where were you? I hope you weren't on the GSP in that stretch that they lowered the limit....
30 over is a lot to ask for them to overlook or kick down.......

i was at 135 on the gsp, which i thought was still 65, but it wasnt apparently

also in some areas they have air watch and can monitor speed from a chopper or something like that....i dont really know too much about but, i have heard of it

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
Did you get caught by radar from the sky? If so you could plead no contest on the grounds that it was hearsay. You would then be dismissed. IF not plead guilty and ask for driving school.

I OBJECT your Honor. He is badgering the witness!

I always wanted to say that:D

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I OBJECT your Honor. He is badgering the witness!

I always wanted to say that:D
Lucky dude!

I'm still waiting for my chance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.