Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need assistance with identifying the purpose for the following under dash wiring harness wires for my 1967 Ford Mustang Coupe, late model 302, no Tach/AC. pictures attached and referenced by number...

Taken through heater control panel opening. left side of steering column.
2A- Gray wire
- Black/ Blue stripe wires

2B-same black/ blue stripe wires

Picture taken of wire coming out before ignition wires.
7-Black connector with Gray wire / light blue/black stripe / black wire?

Picture of wires coming from harness with ignition wires.
11 -connector 3 prong with 2x blue/red stripe wires- I think this is power for the stereo but need confirmation.

Picture of wires coming from harness with ignition wires.
12 -connector 2 prong with 2x blue/red stripe wires and 1 yellow /black stripe wire.

Picture of wires coming down at windshield wiper motor.
13 - two blue/black stripe wires with "o" type connection ends.

Picture of wires coming out at fuse box
16- blue connector with 2 x black/blue wires
red connector with 1 x blue/red wire

Coming from harness at split for firewall heater connections and 2 unknown other wires
17a- 2 black connector with green/yellow stripe wires each

picture taken next toheater box- passenger side
19 - Light harness-is this the glove box light? or under dash courtesy light?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Good photos, that helps. They all look so clean and new. Is this a new harness install? If so, who made it? Are there no instructions?

Veronica or some others will be able to ID these if the color coding is the same. You could also do this from the many wire diagrams on line. There is even one in the header of this forum.

·
Registered
59 Posts
No instructions with a new harness. Just been through this

Best to get a wiring diagram and carefully study it and the intended connections. Most are obvious but some are not without the diagrams

Veronica is a lifesaver, after hunting my wiring woe answers on google she came up time after time. Thus I joined this site. :)

Peter

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Driveway-Yes this is the new one I installed from Scott Drake but no instructions. Easy to install except that my old harness did not have some of the wires that the new one came with or had no wire attached to the ends. Being that I am OC, I cannot move on without knowing their purpose. I do have the 1967 wiring diagram manual but could not find them or just too dumb to figure it out....I went to the extreme of drawing up my own (several hours) wiring diagram by wire color to compare to the book and still no luck.... Veronica- if you are out there please help....sos.gif

Thanks Pmustang!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am the same. Needed to know every wire. I just figured it is easier to learn now while the area is clear rather than when everything is back together. (Let's be honest though, in two weeks I will have forgotten)

I found I needed to look at many wiring diagrams as most have something or other missing. The more I looked at the clearer the mud became

Averagejoerestorations has great ones but may not have 67, mine is a 65-66. Hybrid
Pen joy

Peter

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Yes, Average Joe has the '67 drawings: 1967 Mustang Wiring and Vacuum Diagrams : Average Joe Restoration

Unfortunately, for '67 Ford changed the style of their electrical drawings making them even MORE difficult to understand. With all the years you have to realize that each Ford drawing only shows a few of the wires in each harness - the ones related to the title of the drawing. In order to know what ALL the wires in a harness do you have to find ALL of the Ford drawings and consider them as a whole. The same wire may, or may not, show up in more than one drawing. And when it does show up, it may not have all the details that it had on the other drawing(s). For 65/66 there are 4 main drawings and then some smaller ones depending upon what options your car had. For some options you may not even find a drawing.

Being a '67 I am not that familiar with the wiring; the best I can offer is a link to the drawings. In general, its a lot like the 65/66 but its the differences that will cause a problem.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hello. :) If all I had done was look at those pictures without reading what you had said originally, I would have thought that this was a 68 harness. It sure looks like one. :headscratch: In the first picture the black/blue wire is for the courtesy lights. The connector that has the yellow/black wire, the two blue/red wires is for the radio, the two blue/black wires with ring connectors is for the circuit breaker in the foglight circuit, the four prong plug next to it is for the two-speed wiper switch, the three prong connector with the grey, blue/black, and black wires is for the foglight switch, the grey single wire with the female bullet connector is for the foglight feed that goes through the firewall, the two blue/black wires with one bullet connector shown near the fuse box are for courtesy lights. I believe that this is the for the console, and blue/red wire is for the shifter light, but, I'm not sure about that. The green/yellow is for the door jamb switch.

The longer I look at this, the more certain I become that you have mistakenly been given a 68 harness because some of the things that I mentioned, like the foglight circuit breaker wiring for example, is the 68 configuration. It was different on a 67. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Veronica,

Thank you very much.....I appreciate the feedback....It is a Scott Drake Harness and supposed to be a 1967. Everything else seems to fit perfectly...At least with this info I have something to work with and can look at the diagrams...you are awesome!!!mexican.gif

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Veronica,

It is a Scott Drake Harness and supposed to be a 1967.
Hi again. :) You are quite welcome. It's what we do here. :)

I suspect that you have found the source of the problem and called it by name in the above quote. :gringreen For future reference, if you buy any other harnesses for your car, get the ones made by Alloy Metal Products. They are comparable in price to all the others and are of a much higher quality. As a side note, that green/yellow wire could also be the glove box light. The glove box light is on the same circuit as the door jamb switches. :)

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Thinking the SD website might have some useful info I tried to locate wiring harnesses. After wasting a couple of minutes I get to the 'underdash wiring' category which simply starts the search process over again. tooth.gif

Maybe you got a bargain. A '68 harness should cost more than a '67 - if only you had a '68.

All I can say is Alloy Metal Products has never sold me anything but correct and original harnesses.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts