Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am swapping an '01 V-6 engine and 4R70W into a 96 V-6 car, using the 96 wiring harness. I have a fairly simple question, does anyone have the pinout diagrams for the two coil packs? We are wanting to use the 01 coil pack since the motor had low mileage wires in great condition and it would make for a cleaner install. Yes I understand that we can get wires for a 99/00 and use the 96 Coil Pack, however we want to use the newer OEM coil. I am good with soddering but I need to verify the wiring pins are in the same order before I cut and sodder the wires together. If anyone has it, it would be a great help.

BTW.. yes I re-pinned the trans harness, changed the trans sensors over, deleted the IMRC's, changed the engine's sensors, and have devised a way to make the rail into a return style setup. lol

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
The reference manauls that I have indicate the 96 V6 ignition coil is connector C147. The reference manuals do not have a pin out of C147.

The 2001 is connector C1065. A pin out is attached.

The wire colors are different but I can not see any difference in what the pins do. There does appear to be a different part number for the coil from 96-2000 than from 2000+.

From a picture of the coil packs, it looks like the connector itself has a different shape. Not sure why Ford made the change.

If it were me, I would start by pining out in the same order and see what happens. In any case, this should help you match up the wire colors.

coil 2001 1996
Cyl C1065 C147
5-1 DB/LG T/W
3-4 RD/LB T/O
2-6 PK/WH T/LG
VPWR RD/LG R/LG

Attachments

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I'm doing the same thing but with an 05 F150 coil pack.

Have you tried a continuity check?

The coils are always hot but the EEC switches the ground right?

Also just curious what you did for the fuel rail... since there's several ways of doing it.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
OBTW, the 2005 F-150 uses connector C1065 with the same pin out.

The PCM activates the circuit by completing the ground. The VPWR has +12 volt power when ever the ignition is on.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The reference manauls that I have indicate the 96 V6 ignition coil is connector C147. The reference manuals do not have a pin out of C147.

The 2001 is connector C1065. A pin out is attached.

The wire colors are different but I can not see any difference in what the pins do. There does appear to be a different part number for the coil from 96-2000 than from 2000+.

From a picture of the coil packs, it looks like the connector itself has a different shape. Not sure why Ford made the change.

If it were me, I would start by pining out in the same order and see what happens. In any case, this should help you match up the wire colors.

coil 2001 1996
Cyl C1065 C147
5-1 DB/LG T/W
3-4 RD/LB T/O
2-6 PK/WH T/LG
VPWR RD/LG R/LG
Perfect, thanks!

For the rail. I installed an adapter into the Schrader valve hole and I'm running line from there, to a regulator, then to the return side of the factory 96 rail that I've trimmed off and back into the factory rubber line, using grip fittings and teflon lined EFI hose. The Schrader hole is small but should provide adequate flow. If not, I'll regroup and run the line a different way, I've made a few of them.

I am fortunate that the owner brought a motor complete with harness, so every pigtail I need is free :)

It also had every vacuum line and the stock airbox, it will look OEM when finished.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll list tomorrow what worked.. pinning them straight across worked terribly LOL. 2/6 are the same but the other pairs are reversed. It runs good now :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts