Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My SCT is on the way to SCT shop for unlocking however I'm not sure if it is really locked. I was told by SCT hotline consultant that if there is no information about status in the Device Info section it means it is locked. There is a tune for X-Charger on this unit and if SCT resets it, the tune will be gone I guess... So I'm wondering if they really check if it is locked or not before they reset it...?

The first attachment shows the unlocked SCT, the second one shows what's on the display of the one I got together with a used X-Charger.

Could anyone of you confirm the one I got is locked or can I blindly trust in ehat SCT guy said?

Thanks,
Tomasz

Attachments

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
i think the story here is the tune that was on the tuner was for a different computer (different car) with whatever mods the other guy had. you would not be able to use it anyway. you`ll have to get a tune for your computer #. the tuner was probably locked to his car unless he put his car back to stock tune before he sold you the tuner, then it would have been unlocked. you cant use anyone elses tunes. so even if it was unlocked, you couldnt use the tune, but you could have writen over it with a new tune. i`m sure they will let you know whats up. the sct guys are real good

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thx mustang rocks... yea, I know how that works, the strange thing though is that the guy that sold me the whole kit claimed he sold his V6 after uninstalling XCharger. I guess it would be impossible without loading back the stock tune... unless he crashed it for instance...

I was kind of hoping there was a chance my calibration # would be the same as his as this is the same year and also auto in such case the tune would work for my car either...

So in worst case I'd have to unlock the SCT and get new tune, in the best case if the tuner is unlocked and codes match I could use it straight away ;)

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
ya, theres pretty much no chance your comp code would match his. the tuners changed after i got mine. i have a x3. it only holds 3 custom tunes ( that i got for my car) and it has some options on it i can do. then they came out with the sf3/x3 that comes with 3 generic tunes and then it can also hold 3 custom tunes and a few options it will do.

i dont know anything about the generic tunes but i`m guessing they have to use your code when the unit is ordered, but not sure.

so worst case, you`ll have to pay the unlock fee and get a new tune(s), best case it is unlocked and you have to get a new tune(s). unless you get a good deal on a unlocked tuner, its best to just get a new one. so you got the whole kit? it might not have been such a great deal without a unlocked tuner or maybe it still was.

if you got the x i would get the tune from doug ( the guy that originally owned bama and wrote the tunes for the x)

one thing with sct, and maybe its just for original owners that have the unit registered is that a sct tech can remotely go into your tuner through your computer and check things and make changes for you. ive had them do that to mine a couple years ago for a issue i was having. idont think they can unlock the tuner that way though.

post back what happens with sct :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,

Whether the SCT was locked or not will remain a mystery for ever ;)

I paid $150 and it is unlocked now for sure ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts