Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm into my first mustang project. It's a '67 coupe. I hope to learn from those with classic mustang experience. I've removed the original front suspension and steering and replaced it with a "Rod & Custom" IFS with rack and pinion steering. I just got it out of the paint shop and now will learn what parts are missing to rebuild.

Can anyone determine the date of manufacture from a VIN? The manufacture plate is gone.

Steve in California

·
Super Moderator
40,152 Posts
welcome to the site,enjoy!!!!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Can anyone determine the date of manufacture from a VIN? The manufacture plate is gone.

Steve in California
Like Veronica said, Marti Autoworks can give you the exact date and other info for your car plus a new door tag.

If you want an approximate build date I can give you one if you tell me what plant built your car and the last 6 digits of your VIN.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Jay,

Thanks. It was built in San Jose, Ca and the last six are 179286.

Steve in California
OK, I looked in the Mustang Production Guide I have. Your car was scheduled for Feb 3rd or 4th (3B or 4B would have been on the door tag).

Here's what's listed in the book,

7R01C179270 has a date of 3B and 7R01C179430 has a date of 4B. If I had to choose one I'd say it was 3B as your car is only 16 units ahead of the first one listed.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jay,

Thank you for your help. I need to order some brake parts. The parts are listed as manufacture date "Pre 2/67" and Post 2/67", as there was a design change and/or different parts application. I suppose I will have to call the parts house and have them describe the difference.

Again I thank you, Steve

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Andrew,

Thanks for the comment. The IFS brake parts came with everything fitting the original FORD stuff. It's the original FORD stuff I'm replacing, including the brake valve and hard brake lines (the fittings and threads are worn and mangled).

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's interesting you say that. With the years of experience in auto mechanics, I remember the 1st thing they tried to teach us in High School auto shop; Tube flaring. I have the tool and I can do it. After 3-4 times of doing it, I can get them centered and looking good. However, it seems everytime (and that's seldom) I need to do one I have to go through the learning curve again. I've never been accused of being the patient sort, and flaring and bending takes patience.
Your suggestion IS the best solution, I just need to determine WHICH application I need.
Thanks again for your input. Steve

·
Registered
4 Posts
Jay,

I'm interested in getting a build date for my '72 convertible - the VIN is 2F03H190249. I understand you have a book which can identify the date. Thanks, JohnMorgan

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Jay,

I'm interested in getting a build date for my '72 convertible - the VIN is 2F03H190249. I understand you have a book which can identify the date. Thanks, JohnMorgan
John,

your car was built around April 6th, 1972. The door tag would be "4-72" or "06D" depending on how it was typed up. This was about the time they started going to just the month and year on the tags instead of the day and month they did previously. I do have VIN 2F02F190973 as 06D in the book while the others around it in the book that have the date are 4-72.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.