Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is no doubt basic for those of an electrical bent, which I am not. Trying to install new Autometer gauges. So am looking for a 12V dash illumination source (not 12V ignition; not yet).

All the old stock gauges, and bezel is out. Also out of the car is the flimsy circuit "board" affair Ford used in '73.

I have a CD with colorized wiring diagrams that indicates (to me) that I want to tap into a Lt Blue/red stripe wire. Well, that's pin #18 on the very busy connector sitting in mid air above the steering column. Apparently it's "circuit #19)

And I note at least one small incandescent type light dangling in the area w/ this color wire and a black (grnd). A bulb I assume used to be inserted into the speedo or "idiot light collection".

So I jumped a length of 18 ga between the #18 pin on the connector to the exposed piece of copper under the bulb socket. Attached the neg batt cable and turned on the headlights. But that little instrument light doesn't light. Had the key turned fwd to just before the starter starts.

Is there something else in that connector that needs to be, er, "handled"? Shouldn't the dash lights light if the headlamps come on? Or does the car need to be running? (Haven't fired up the new engine yet. Waiting to hook some basic gauges. A catch 22?)

The + on the coil isn't yet attached to the Ign or solenoid - that shouldn't affect dash lighting should it? Ugh. Electrical. :?:

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Problem solved. (Oh, there will be more when it comes to things electrical!)

Re-read a suggestion about tying into a dash dimming light circuit; not just a 12V source. That way the new gauges would dim along with everything else. And read the dimmer function is the headlamp switch turned rt or left. (This is a new car to us; only drove it a few hours (in daylight) a year+ ago before tearing into it....)

So set up the test again, and it turns out the headlamp switch happened to be in the "full dim" position. Rotated it and voila, the test bulb we were eying lit up. From dim to bright.

Yay! Found where we want to tap into for dash lights for the new gauges. Lt Blue/red strip was correct. :yup:

Finding a keyed 12V ign source is up next. Oh boy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts