Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sixteen and I have an excellent opportunity to buy a 2004 Mustang V6 for much cheaper than market value. I haven't even seen a picture of it but I want to be prepared in case I have to jump on this chance. That, of course, requires some questions.

1. Is the V6 even worth it? I've grown up watching my dad's built turbo V6 1987 Buick Grand National tear up the strip and I don't know if the V6 will stand up to my "standards."
2. Recommended initial upgrades? Again, I've never seen it so I don't know if it's already modded.
3. Tune vs mods/bolt ons and which "setup" would you recommend?
4. Best upgrade for price:performance ratio? Since it's so cheap, I have a little wiggle room but would like to know how to use it wisely.
5. Any general tips/tricks/warnings/well-wishes?

Thanks in advance,
Trevor

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Trevor. There aren't that many aftermarket parts available that will make it much faster. There are cold air intakes and exhaust mods but nothing on the market will make your car out run anything that it previously can't.
If you like the car crawl underneath and look for oil and sludge. Make sure all of the door jambs line up, make sure it hasn't been wrecked. That's about as good as you're going to get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trevor. There aren't that many aftermarket parts available that will make it much faster. There are cold air intakes and exhaust mods but nothing on the market will make your car out run anything that it previously can't.
If you like the car crawl underneath and look for oil and sludge. Make sure all of the door jambs line up, make sure it hasn't been wrecked. That's about as good as you're going to get.

If it changes your view, I'm not looking for some "get fast quick pill." I'll strip it, I'll turbo it, hell I'll throw a 383 in it if it'll "make it faster." Point is, I'm not looking for a cheap tuning chip with an over glorified CAI. Headers, rods, cams, fuel system, whatever. Just lay it on me. I just want to know just how much it will take to make it "fast." Or rather, what am I getting myself into.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
If it changes your view, I'm not looking for some "get fast quick pill." I'll strip it, I'll turbo it, hell I'll throw a 383 in it if it'll "make it faster." Point is, I'm not looking for a cheap tuning chip with an over glorified CAI. Headers, rods, cams, fuel system, whatever. Just lay it on me. I just want to know just how much it will take to make it "fast." Or rather, what am I getting myself into.

Well if you're looking to put a 383 (I'm not sure about fitment or anything) you'll pretty much just be buying a body. You'll run a carbureted small block Chevy (no computer) and none the electronics at work. You'd also need a GM transmission.
Even swapping to a 4.6 ford in the v6 mustang is an ordeal. You'll need just about everything from the GT mustang to swap over to your v6. So having a donor gt would be the easiest way to do it. Even then it'll still be one of the slower cars on the road.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
I'm sure someone makes a header and a cam but it won't get you to where you want to be. It still wouldn't be as fast as a new mini van. Well maybe it'll be mini van fast but it won't be as fast as a new four door sedan.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well if you're looking to put a 383 (I'm not sure about fitment or anything) you'll pretty much just be buying a body. You'll run a carbureted small block Chevy (no computer) and none the electronics at work. You'd also need a GM transmission.
Even swapping to a 4.6 ford in the v6 mustang is an ordeal. You'll need just about everything from the GT mustang to swap over to your v6. So having a donor gt would be the easiest way to do it. Even then it'll still be one of the slower cars on the road.

Then my question to you is, and thank you for your help so far, what car would you recommend? Used, around 8k and below, enough get up and go for a 16yo, and pretty easy to mod and build on. Setting aside the fact that this is a mustang site, what's your personal recommendation? I'm just toying with this car because it's right in front of me. Of course I would prefer a v8 but it's obviously more dough and there are none for sale near me.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Then my question to you is, and thank you for your help so far, what car would you recommend? Used, around 8k and below, enough get up and go for a 16yo, and pretty easy to mod and build on. Setting aside the fact that this is a mustang site, what's your personal recommendation? I'm just toying with this car because it's right in front of me. Of course I would prefer a v8 but it's obviously more dough and there are none for sale near me.

For $8k you should be able to find a GT.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
You don't think the extra money will help the v6 out-perform or at least come close to the GT?
Not unless you get a nitrous kit, and then you'd only be able to use it at the track. Google around and for aftermarket parts for the V6 and if all you see is bolt-on stuff then the answer is no. If you added every bolt-on offered it wouldn't give you an extra 100 hp. Aftermarket cams only help a little and I'm not sure if anyone makes them for the V6.
The older v6's run a 15 to 16 second 1/4 mile. The '99-04 GT's run a 14 to 13 second 1/4, and the new GT's run closer to a 12 second 1/4 mile.
New sedans run 14's in the 1/4 mile these days.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not unless you get a nitrous kit, and then you'd only be able to use it at the track. Google around and for aftermarket parts for the V6 and if all you see is bolt-on stuff then the answer is no. If you added every bolt-on offered it wouldn't give you an extra 100 hp. Aftermarket cams only help a little and I'm not sure if anyone makes them for the V6.
The older v6's run a 15 to 16 second 1/4 mile. The '99-04 GT's run a 14 to 13 second 1/4, and the new GT's run closer to a 12 second 1/4 mile.
New sedans run 14's in the 1/4 mile these days.

Thanks for the warning. But what else would come up besides bolt ons if i just looked up "aftermarket parts?" Like, what isn't a bolt on.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Thanks for the warning. But what else would come up besides bolt ons if i just looked up "aftermarket parts?" Like, what isn't a bolt on.

What isn't a "bolt-on": cylinder heads, camshafts, intake manifolds (not cai), turbo or supercharger kits, etc.
"Bolt-ons": throttle bodies, mass air meters, cold air intakes, under drive pulleys, and exhaust mods.

·
Super Moderator
7,908 Posts
Food for thought. That Procharger will spin one tire for days. Any thought how to put that torque to the pavement without limited slip.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts