Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i have a 1987 mustang 5.0 notch just a little wile ago it started a really hard miss. the best way i can discribe it is like oyu no when a lawnmower is almost out of gas and it lets out like a puff like the piston doesnt hit that time around but then it caches itself well my car is doing that but i have a half tank of gas also the idle is also really high like 1500 rpm for no reason it just started doing this and it will do it at all time but hard excell

please help i want to keep this car it is my daily and i have my first day at work tomrow i though could be a dieing fuel pump or bad cap and rotor or a vaccum leak casue i have new coil plugs wires and ignition moduel please help i am stumped :headscratch:

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Sounds like either a timing issue, or a vacuum leak. Still possible it could be the regulator that has an issue, can you check fuel pressure?

·
Registered
235 Posts
if it just started doing it, id say something simole, like try taking off your mass air meter if its converted to mass air, and clean it, same with the TB. Try changing the fuel filter.

G

·
should be right in front of the gas tank im pretty sure you might also want to make sure your distributor retaing bolt is tight and set the correct timing

·
Registered
235 Posts
stock timing is 10 degrees. but if your bolt that holds down the distributor is tight, then i doubt thats it. Oh yeah, 10 degrees, make sure you pull your spout connector when you time it to 10 then put it back in. I say try replacing the fuel filter, if you didnt know where it was then it probably hasnt been changed in awhile.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i replaced the fuel filter it was nasty but it didnt fix the problem and the timing is 100% perfict what could make it miss at low rpm and hesitate really bad and back fire please help i am stumped

·
Registered
235 Posts
i agree, could be a vacuum leak somewhere, cause bucking like a horse and just crappy runnning all around. Start the car and try spraying some carb cleaner in certain areas and listen for rpm changes. That usually signifys a vacuum leak. Have you tried pulling the computer codes?

·
Registered
83 Posts
mabey the coils geting weak>? run a resistance check of the primary and secondary windings? do a compresion check if its low could tell you that your valve timing jumped? if it runs you could do a running vacume check it should pull 15-18 at idle if its lower could mean a vacume leak or restricted exhaust? i duno id start with the basics.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.