Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:help: I need some help. My top is really slow both opening and closing. I have checked the fluid and it is full, and the motor seems to be spinning relatively fast. Has anyone had a similar problem and know the fix?

·
Registered
716 Posts
floridamike427 said:
:help: I need some help. My top is really slow both opening and closing. I have checked the fluid and it is full, and the motor seems to be spinning relatively fast. Has anyone had a similar problem and know the fix?

Too slow? Add some stickers to that vert top motor, it will make it fly!

Seriously though, I assume it was working better and you noticed a decline? if you are toped off and it is that slow the motor might be going out………..you could swap it for
a 1.6 liter V-TECH motor to work the convertible, I did that swat and now it flies!

Sorry couldn’t resist……………

·
Registered
65 Posts
my dad has an 84 conv. the same thing happened and were told it was the switch

·
Registered
14 Posts
When I first got mine a few years ago, it was slow going up and down. I filled the motor/reservoir up and did the obligatory up/down about a dozen times with the plug off and keeping it full. It seemed to work for awhile. Now that I have the motor, plumbing and pistons on my workbench, I am wondering if it is the fluid type. I used hydraulic fluid and the sticker recommends ATF fluid.....

I assume the ATF is less prone to bubbling?????

·
Registered
579 Posts
On the pivot points of the top use dry graphite to lubricate and make sure you use ATF if you used something else drain and refill. Never a good idea to mix lubricants or grease.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.