Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I went to my friends house to swap out my BBk H-pipe with one cat on each side for an off road BBk H-pipe, everything went smoothly and then we went on a quick test drive and it woorked ok for the first 4 min untill I seen a ricer go by and then I got on it a little bit but not hard only went to about 3750 -4k rpm's and and I schooled him as we stoped at the red light. as I made the left turn she was running fine, but then as I went up the hill at about 2000 rpm's she started to pop around the header area and started stuttering and poping up the hill, we went back to the garage and torqued everything back down and she was fine again. I drove her home on the highway for about 12 min and I thought everything was fine again. the next morning I drove down to turkey hill and nothing, but on the way back she started up again and now I am starting to go nuts because I don't know if it's the exhaust at the headers?, o2 sensers?, or something else? Any and all help is nice. she is an 88 mustang GT with NO maf

M

·
0 Posts
if the bolts holding the headers on are coming loose you might have to get some of those bolts that dont back out..

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
All plug wires away from the headers? All bolts tight? All electricals connected? When you retorque things, are they actually loose?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
No, I know they are fine, just had them redone on both sides about a month ago, I wasn't untill after the h-pipe, I don't know if it's the bolts being loose againg or what? would it do that if the headers and H-pipe are not seating right?

I also have to say that the pop is from a misfire that causes the stuttering but what would change anything if all I did was replaced it with the same brand but without cats?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All plug wires away from the headers? All bolts tight? All electricals connected? When you retorque things, are they actually loose?
after running it the first time, yes, then we retorqued them, ran it for 10 min on the jackstands anf then torqued them again but the third time they never moved so?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This weekend I went to my friends house to swap out my BBk H-pipe with one cat on each side for an off road BBk H-pipe, everything went smoothly and then we went on a quick test drive and it woorked ok for the first 4 min untill I seen a ricer go by and then I got on it a little bit but not hard only went to about 3750 -4k rpm's and and I schooled him as we stoped at the red light. as I made the left turn she was running fine, but then as I went up the hill at about 2000 rpm's she started to pop around the header area and started stuttering and poping up the hill, we went back to the garage and torqued everything back down and she was fine again. I drove her home on the highway for about 12 min and I thought everything was fine again. the next morning I drove down to turkey hill and nothing, but on the way back she started up again and now I am starting to go nuts because I don't know if it's the exhaust at the headers?, o2 sensers?, or something else? Any and all help is nice. she is an 88 mustang GT with NO maf

I also have to say that the pop is from a misfire that causes the stuttering but what would change anything if all I did was replaced it with the same brand but without cats?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
could this also be my air to fuel ratio????? is so how can you tell and adjust it, because the exhaust is now more free than befor and intake whistles under 1/2 acceleration

·
Registered
460 Posts
Is it throwing a check engine light at all.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Same thing happened to me when I installed my Long Tube Headers and matching X pipe. Since it was such a tight squeeze on the passenger side when getting the header down from the top, we had to remove most of the plugs on the passenger side. Brought her out to try out the new exhaust and the engine had a slight shake in it. I even went and put all new Motorcraft plugs in it thinking it might have been a dead or cracked off plug...but I got it home missing and backfiring and turns out it was plug wires 2 and 3 were accidentally switched over. I traced all the wires from the distributor and found it that way. The firing order is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 going counterclockwise.

It's a long shot but you never know :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Same thing happened to me when I installed my Long Tube Headers and matching X pipe. Since it was such a tight squeeze on the passenger side when getting the header down from the top, we had to remove most of the plugs on the passenger side. Brought her out to try out the new exhaust and the engine had a slight shake in it. I even went and put all new Motorcraft plugs in it thinking it might have been a dead or cracked off plug...but I got it home missing and backfiring and turns out it was plug wires 2 and 3 were accidentally switched over. I traced all the wires from the distributor and found it that way. The firing order is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 going counterclockwise.

It's a long shot but you never know :bigthumbsup

thanks everyone, I even tried resetting the computer by unplugging the battery for 10 min with all the lights on thoughout the car and still nothing, as for the plug wires, we never removed any of them at all nore did we remove the headers but thanks, anyone else have any ideas, I made a garage appointment but the earliest they could due was tuesday the 14th and thats toooo long for me to go without my mustang

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.