Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new here I recently baught an 89 5.0 LX 5 speed. The problem is I was installing a MGW short shifter and I noticed the tranny was positioned far over to the right. I figured it was in accident and bent the body, shifting the position of the engine. After inspecting under the car I could see that it was nice and straight, so I check the engine mounts. Well anyways the passanger side engine mount is not bolted to the block and it appears one or both the bolts are snapped off inside the block. Can anyone tell me a successful way to remove the bolt(s)? Please explain in detail if possible and would it be best to just take it to a mechanic or would they charge me an arm and leg?
I am mechanicaly inclined so don't just say take it to a mechanic. I have just never had a problem like this before and I can think of several ways to remove it but I just need the best solution, if take it to a mechanic then I will.
Thank you
Pete

·
Registered
115 Posts
The way i've dealt with broken bolts is to drill them out down through the center of the bolt...You have to go slow and the goal is to break the bolt into pieces to get it out...Also you could get yourself a start point and drive a flat head screw driver into the top of the broken bolt (start by trying to drill a small slot in it first for the screw driver to drive down into...The try to just turn it out...If it is really siezed though I doubt you'd get the leverage to do it with the screw driver, if it isn't then it should come out...Space may also be an issue with getting to this bolt...I'm not a tapping expert but I have done this in the past to a block in a jet ski...Hope this gives you an idea...I'm sure other people with more experience will give you even more guidance...Welcome to the board and good luck!

Jason

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
if you can drill a small hole in the bolt, there is a tool out there called an "extractor." that looks like a drill bit, goes into any power drill. (or socket/ratchet?).
basically you can stick it in the hole, and turn it counterclockwise to remove the bolt, but the way the bit is designed enables it to hold onto whatever your turning, even hto your loosening it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Good ideas but lets face it u r gonna need a right angle drill, extractor after pilot hole. Take locknut off of crossmember, raise engine one side only, its hard but remove the mount and get ready to drill pilot hole. After pilot hole, using 2x4 and floor jack on ledge of block mold. Get right angle drill with extractor in position and lower engine just to bit to push on backside of drill, to set the extractor, probably 1/4 turn, just to bite. Raise engine, with plenty of pressure, slowly back out bolt. That 1/4 turn might be enough to break it loose. Don't let it strip... pressure... slow... I don't think u can use regular drill, make sure its variable trigger and try to use the weight of the engine to set the extractor like either wedging between crossm.. and back of drill, or back of drill to ground with 2x4. I'm a big fella but i dont think i could get enough pressure laying on my back to set extractor which in my opinon is the most important part. Good luck man

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.