Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a Mustang II with the 2.3 and the C3 transmission. I want the car to be a little faster. I looked at 302 options but I have the C3 and I would have to replace it to a C4 and I do not know how to that. Is this the easiest build up that you can do? (302 with C4) if not can you guys point me in the right direction. I am able to put an engine and trans together and put them in and take them out of the car. I just need to know what type of work I need to do to make the engine and the transmission fit. ( whatever engine and transmission work and are worth putting in)

·
Registered
730 Posts
It's a decently involved process.
1.Rear axle needs to be replaced along with driveshaft
2.If it is a 74 you need to widen the engine bay to accept a 302
3.Heavier duty front springs are needed to support the 302
4.You have to remove and replace engine and transmission which can be daunting if you have never done such a task. Usually need more then one set of hands.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Alot needs to change to do the 4 to V8 swap. If you just want a little more you may want to check out esslinger. They have the all of the parts you could need for any power level with your 2.3.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a decently involved process.
1.Rear axle needs to be replaced along with driveshaft
2.If it is a 74 you need to widen the engine bay to accept a 302
3.Heavier duty front springs are needed to support the 302
4.You have to remove and replace engine and transmission which can be daunting if you have never done such a task. Usually need more then one set of hands.
We have taken engines and transmissions out but my biggest problem would be what transmission do I get for the 302? and what do i have to do to make it fit? thanks for your help :)

·
Registered
730 Posts
It originally came with a Rad-4. Good luck finding one. T-5 is usually best bet. Take a sledge to the transmission tunnel and cut a new hole for the shifter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts