Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well first of all I'am 17years old and I'am from London Ontario, Canada so the price will be CDN and the mileage will be km's. Well here is the problem I'am looking at a 94 Mustang 5.0 GT, Manual. The car has 189,000km/146000miles on it. Which seems abit high and the asking price for the car is $6,995 but I think i could bring him down to 6,200CDN/5166U.S The car has no rust and paint is a 9/10 the interior is a 9/10. Just wanted to ask is this car worth buying for the price of 5166U.S and with 146000miles on it?
Cheers Mike

Picture of car below

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
146000 miles thats alot i would look around some more you kind find one with less miles on it for the same price but it is clean car all depends on how good the guy who owned it took care of it

·
Registered
861 Posts
I would also suggest passing this one up, not based on price, but based on engine internals.

Those 94's have the Hypeaurutic(sp?) pistons inside of them and are known to be less reliable than the Forged Pistons that came in earlier models.

Look around for something else.

Biggest word of advice I can give you would be to just sit on it. Some guys will wait an entire year to find the perfect match. I waited 5 months, searching ads and auctions till I finally settled. And I couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
yea man thats ALOT. 150000 miles is a good bit of driving on a motor.

i have an 88 with 124,000 on it, and i paid 1500 bucks for mine. if you wait long enough, you will find the deal of a lifetime.

and this isnt like buying clothes or something, its a car. you dont want to spend 6500 bucks on something that is mildly pleasing to you. like "okay thats nice".

for that kind of green, it needs to be "holy f*&kin crap"

keep savin and keep searchin for the one you love.

also, imo, the best year to get is the 89 mustang. fuel injected, has mass air, AND forged pistons. cant beat it.

·
Registered
471 Posts
In all reality, the prices around SW Ontario tend to run a little high. But, having said that, if that '94 is in that good of shape, and it has been taken care of, $6000 CDN is a decent deal for our area.

Also, I wouldn't worry about hyper vs. forged pistons unless you're considering forced induction of some sort. Even then, if you're conservative and keep it out of detonation, the Hypers will be fine.

As far as longevity, a engine with hypers will more than likely last longer as ring seal is increased, and piston slapping is decreased over forged pistons.

If you really like it and want it, I'd go for it.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Thanks for the comments on hyper pistons 5SpeedGT.I put hypers in my motor & heard some people say there as fragile as glass & to avoid them.I thought they were good which is why I bought them & mostly because there not so damn noisy.As far as the mustang,I think the price is a little steep but if its what you really want go for it.I would look around first.You dont want to find a better deal AFTER you already bought spent your cash on a car you rushed into buying.Good luck.:smilie

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
5SpeedGT said:
In all reality, the prices around SW Ontario tend to run a little high. But, having said that, if that '94 is in that good of shape, and it has been taken care of, $6000 CDN is a decent deal for our area.

Also, I wouldn't worry about hyper vs. forged pistons unless you're considering forced induction of some sort. Even then, if you're conservative and keep it out of detonation, the Hypers will be fine.

As far as longevity, a engine with hypers will more than likely last longer as ring seal is increased, and piston slapping is decreased over forged pistons.

If you really like it and want it, I'd go for it.
There is a great article in Hot Rod Magazine, they were testing a 302 on the Dyno and had maybe 50 pulls on it, low compression, never sprayed and no forced induction, and Hyper Pistons. Well a piston shattered like glass and took out the entire engine, it is very well written and explains that if the bore is tight for ring seal that a hyper piston is more likely to wedge itself at the top of the stroke, and since it is so very fragile that the rod will just rip the piston pin right out of the bottom of the piston. Fords penny pinchers were out to save money and they cut costs by going from Forged to Hypers for no other reason than cost!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.