Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I would like some help choosing heads for a stock bottom end 302. I'm ready to purchase a set of heads that will work on a future 347 build. I was looking at afr 185s but don't want to deal with ptv clearance issues. I have been told by a rep at trick flow that their 190cc trick flow twisted wedge design part #TFS-51400015 would clear pistons. Will these heads work with a stock bottom end 302 and ford b-cam? Will I lose bottom end hp because of their 64cc combustion chamber. Custom grind cam not a option at moment as I am saving for 347 build. Just want to get more out of my current set up. Please help me stock e7s gotta go. Engine specs in sig thanks!

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I would really suggest that you wait on the heads. No set of heads that will make great power on a 347 will also fit on a stock bottom end 302. For a 347 you're gonna want 2.02" intake / 1.60" exhaust valves, and those won't fit on any stock bottom end that I know of, especially with the B cam.

Speaking of the cam, you'd need a LOT more than that B cam to really work with the Victor intake and 190cc heads.

Save up the money for a set of AFR 205's or Edelbrock Victors.

And no, you wouldn't lose any compression, the E7 heads have pretty big chambers.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
I would really suggest that you wait on the heads. No set of heads that will make great power on a 347 will also fit on a stock bottom end 302. For a 347 you're gonna want 2.02" intake / 1.60" exhaust valves, and those won't fit on any stock bottom end that I know of, especially with the B cam.
Tons of Trick Flow heads with 2.02/1.60 valves running around on a stock bottom end. My Canfields cleared as well. Just because the valves are bigger doesnt mean they will hit.

Same heads I have on my 302, Reg has on his 347. These same heads went 10.20's on a 408 right off the trailer.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Tons of Trick Flow heads with 2.02/1.60 valves running around on a stock bottom end. My Canfields cleared as well. Just because the valves are bigger doesnt mean they will hit.

Same heads I have on my 302, Reg has on his 347. These same heads went 10.20's on a 408 right off the trailer.
If it worked on an '89 it'll work on yours too.

Only reason I said that is because when i mocked up my Edelbrock heads on my stock '83 bottom end, I was about a mile short on clearence, and that was a stock cam.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As far as making great power with a 347 my plans are for a mild 347 400-450 hp. I'm just not sure if the tf 190cc heads will work on a stock bottom 302. How would they compare say to afr 165s on my current setup as far as horsepower. Looking to make 350 hp and didn't want to waste money on heads (afr 165s) that will not make horsepower on a stroker engine.

R

·
0 Posts

But our motors are built on the principals of......

It is the sum of all parts that make horsepower......

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
But our motors are built on the principals of......

It is the sum of all parts that make horsepower......

Suppose that's pretty much the point I tried and failed to make.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
As far as making great power with a 347 my plans are for a mild 347 400-450 hp. I'm just not sure if the tf 190cc heads will work on a stock bottom 302. How would they compare say to afr 165s on my current setup as far as horsepower. Looking to make 350 hp and didn't want to waste money on heads (afr 165s) that will not make horsepower on a stroker engine.
Trick Flow 190's will wipe their ass with the AFR 165's. There is no comparision of the two. 165's have no business on a 347

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What about the trick flow 190cc on my 302 vs the afr 165s. I really want to get the afr165s but don't want to have to buy more heads for my 347 stroker. Will the the trick flow 190s make more or less hp&torque compared to the 165 afrs or will they hurt me because of their size and my small cam 302? Sorry I'm new to all this and have lots to learn. I guess what I'm looking for is for someone to confirm that the trick flow 190cc will clear stock pistons and make as much power as the afr 165s with my current setup and 1.7 rr. If not then I might just have to purchase the 165 afr heads and try to sell them later when my 347 comes along and purchase afr 185s or tf 190s. I wish afr 185 would clear my stock 302 pistons because that would be great because of there 58cc combustion chamber.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
At least 1 year. Do you think I would be able to recover 75% of the cost of the afr 165s to go toward another set in about 1 year? I think I'm just not gonna worry about the 347 build and buy heads that will give the most power to my 302.

·
Registered
897 Posts
At least 1 year. Do you think I would be able to recover 75% of the cost of the afr 165s to go toward another set in about 1 year? I think I'm just not gonna worry about the 347 build and buy heads that will give the most power to my 302.
And that set would still be the TFS 190's.........

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Just save your $ or buy a set of gt40 heads that you can get your $ back out of later.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I would suggest waiting for heads until you do the entire build. You want to build it ALL together to work together rather than buying heads with both a stock 302 AND a 347 in mind.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think my problem has been solved. I talked to Jim at ford strokers and prob gonna get the trick flow 190cc and have them milled to 58cc combustion chamber with his spring package for around $ 1500.00 and if the stroker build gets delayed I'll just get a custom FTI cam to make up for bottom end loss in a 302.

·
Registered
897 Posts
So TFS 190 FAC's are not an efficient option for either cid engine?.... why?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts