Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 1970 Mustang fastback. It has been modified and I am trying to figure out what I have. The first item is the rear end. The tag reads "WDZ-81 9EB 3L00 8 875A". The "1" after the first "8" might be an "I". I am almost sure that it is not original to the car because the gear ratio does not match the data plate and the vent tube is on the passenger side of the axle. Can anybody help? Thanks.

·
Registered
211 Posts
WDZ is the model. I believe it's and 8". The 3L00 means it's a 3.00 gear set and a traction lock. The top line, WDZ-81 is the model, next to is is a numeric code for interchangeability. The bottom line, 3L00 is the gear ratio the L denotes a traction lok. The digits following that are the build date, and plant code.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
The only thing i find close to that is a wdz-b which is from comet,fairlane 66-69 and a 69 falcon 300 gear 8 inch limited slip 28 splined axles it should have had a wcz for the factory rear end they had.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the information. I continued to search the internet and found a site that I think is in german (and a little english). It has a list of "8 and 9" rear ends. Under 1968 it has a "WDZ-B1" rear end listed. It however doesn't say (at least in english) what make or model of 1968 it would have been installed on. I may need to find someone that knows german to read it for me.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
You could try measure the housing from flange to flange which is the metal plates your brakes are bolted on.Should be 59.25 inches if its close its ok.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.