Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed new spark plugs, screamin demon coil pack and new wires. Tried to turn car over but made funny noise and wont stay started! I check all the wires and connections and all seem fine I need help fast!

·
Registered
531 Posts
make sure the numbers on the coil are in the correct order

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Hi Zatro,
You may have plug wires 5 and 6 reversed. They don’t follow sequence. Here’s a diagram that someone once made on the forums. Check to see that you have all the wires going to the correct coil tower, especially 5 & 6.

Attachments

·
Registered
448 Posts
Might check the plugs and make sure they aren't damaged, Make sure you get the little "click" when putting wires on, etc. I can't really think of much else.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Hi Zatro,
You may have plug wires 5 and 6 reversed. They don’t follow sequence. Here’s a diagram that someone once made on the forums. Check to see that you have all the wires going to the correct coil tower, especially 5 & 6.
Ohhhh good point. I almost did that with mine once.

·
Registered
472 Posts
U also may have cross thread on your spark plug

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay guys the car wouldn't even start with the new coil pack so I just put in the oem coil pack, car started but sounded really rough (almost sounded like a v8 :cooldude:), but anyways I checked plugs I did have the 2 plugs switched. Started car and it purred like a kitten (with factory coil pack).

Anyways tomorrow I will try switching the coil packs again 1 more time when I have the energy. Since my plugs are gapped to .065 would it still be okay to drive with the factory coil pack at that gap?

·
Registered
344 Posts
I don't see where it would hurt for one day

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just tried the sreamin demon coil pack again and still the car wouldn't even start! I just put the factory coil pack back on with new plugs and wires and car starts just fine....

I'm going to give Summit Racing a call tomorrow and request a new coil pack be sent out.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
The stock coil is actually pretty decent. I measured mine and it had a turns ratio of 88:1, which with a primary firing voltage of 450 volts equates to a secondary open circuit voltage of over 39 KV. The SD coil is only spec’d at 45 KV (100:1). The .065 won’t hurt anything with the stock coil, but you may notice a loss of power at full throttle compared to a narrower gap (it may actually run better at idle and part throttle though).

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Attachments

·
Registered
531 Posts
i bought my coil and live wires from mossmuscle.com
no problems, maybe you bought a defective coil

·
Registered
344 Posts
Check the part number. You should be using part number 31738

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They sent me 31736, but I needed 31738.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I don't know about it being a POS, but like most add on's. the companies have a tendency to exaggerate performance gains. I also think adding quality wires, and regapping the plugs can cause some improvement on their own.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I don't know about it being a POS, but like most add on's. the companies have a tendency to exaggerate performance gains. I also think adding quality wires, and regapping the plugs can cause some improvement on their own.
+1 on that. I'm not saying you won't see any gains from the SD Coil, but most (not all) people who notice a gain probably needed to replace their plugs and wires anyways.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
+1 on that. I'm not saying you won't see any gains from the SD Coil, but most (not all) people who notice a gain probably needed to replace their plugs and wires anyways.
Yeah the stock plug wires aren’t really that good in these cars, and replacing old plugs who’s gap has opened up and rounded off from long service also helps quite a bit. Not sure if the SD coil actually contributes much or not, haven’t made up a test jig to compare the actual energy (measured in joules) output of the SD coil vs. the stock coil (it’s kind of a pain to do, especially when you don’t have all the equipment on hand). That’s the important number though, as far as the coil goes, and one that’s rarely given by marketeers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts