Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All we have around where I live is a 1000' tracks. I was wondering if there is a way to estimate 1/4 mi times based on 1000' times. I ran a [email protected] in the 1000' so if there is anyone that has any idea what that might let me run in the 1/4 feel free to post. Thanks

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
All we have around where I live is a 1000' tracks. I was wondering if there is a way to estimate 1/4 mi times based on 1000' times. I ran a [email protected] in the 1000' so if there is anyone that has any idea what that might let me run in the 1/4 feel free to post. Thanks
Post up all of the incrementals.

I think that's pretty close to what one of my cars ran. If so, we can match up the 60, 330, and 1/8th times to estimate the 1/4.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Post up all of the incrementals.

I think that's pretty close to what one of my cars ran. If so, we can match up the 60, 330, and 1/8th times to estimate the 1/4.

Reaction .4641
60FT 2.177
330FT 5.833
1/8 ET 8.79
1/8 mph 84.79
1000 ET 11.10
1000 mph 98.12

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These times are also on 17x8 street tires. I need some drag radials badly

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
This is the closest slip I have to that run:

60- 1.99
330- 5.58
1/8- 8.53 @ 83.01 mph
1/4- 13.24 @ 106.41

You're hooking less, but making more power. Are you powershifting?

I'd venture a guess of 13.55 @ 109?

UPR control arms and Drag Radials should put your car solidly in the 12s.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is the closest slip I have to that run:

60- 1.99
330- 5.58
1/8- 8.53 @ 83.01 mph
1/4- 13.24 @ 106.41

You're hooking less, but making more power. Are you powershifting?

I'd venture a guess of 13.55 @ 109?

UPR control arms and Drag Radials should put your car solidly in the 12s.
Not sure what you mean by power shifting? But yeah getting it to hook up is my big problem. I am launching at 2K and still spin like crazy and when I shift into 2nd I get sideways and I chirp in 3rd so I for sure to figure out the traction part. And what do the control arms do? Sorry I don't know a whole lot about this stuff. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
Not sure what you mean by power shifting? But yeah getting it to hook up is my big problem. I am launching at 2K and still spin like crazy and when I shift into 2nd I get sideways and I chirp in 3rd so I for sure to figure out the traction part. And what do the control arms do? Sorry I don't know a whole lot about this stuff. Thanks for your help
No problem man. Ask plenty of questions. We're all here to help!

Powershifting is when you don't let off of the throttle to shift. You just kick the clutch and slam the shifter into the next gear. It's not uncommon for a car like yours to run 3 tenths quicker in the quarter just by powershifting. It's hard on the drivetrain though. In the year that I've owned my 06 GT, I've powershifted it ONCE (2nd, 3rd, and 4th) because I was REALLY ticked off at someone! :grinroll: Normally I don't powershift my daily drivers.

I'm guessing you're on regular radials? Drag radials will help minimize the tire spin A BUNCH, but if it's your daily driver, you might not want to go that route.

One of the tricks to running decent times on street tires is to not let them spin. Once they start spinning, it's VERY hard to hook back up. It will seem like you're creeping off the line when you do it right. Actually, I have a video of the pass I posted above.

YouTube - ‪Sharad's new/old Mustang 13.24 @ 106mph in the 1/4‬‏

Disregard the fact that it's a Fox mustang. Drag racing is all horsepower, traction, weight... pretty simple really. But anyway, the launch in that video looks super boggy, but that was a 1.99 60' time on old dry-rotted 245/50-16 Kumho ECSTAs. NOT optimum for drag racing. :laugh: So that's a decent launch on junk tires. (you can hear the powershifting too)

As for the control arms, our cars are bad for wheel hop and general jankiness (yeah, that's a technical term... LOL) when it comes to drag racing on factory suspension. Aftermarket control arms have upgraded bushings that keep the rear end more planted and help launch faster.

To give you a rough estimate, control arms and drag radials would drop about .3 seconds off of your 60' time which is .6 seconds off of your quarter mile time. That's a major reduction without adding horsepower. Our S197s Mustangs can run 12s without adding power, but you have to focus on the launch. This is the path less taken because suspension and tires aren't as sexy as shiny engine parts, but in my opinion, traction makes or breaks the car!

Take a look at these UPR control arms. $199 with a lifetime guarantee. 2005-2010 Ford Mustang GT V6 Chrome Moly Street Upper & Lower Control Arm Package - UPR Products

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask any other questions you have-

1 - 8 of 8 Posts