Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 1988 Ford Mustang Convertible with a 2.3L for my duaghter to learn to drive on. She has her level 1 license and will have level two when she turns 16 next March.

Unfortunately, I do not have much history on the car and I am attempting to work out some of the "bugs" to get it ready for her. I am uncertain as to the mileage, as it has turned over and the odemeter reads 98000+. However, the engine looks to clean for being that old. What I know is that the plugs, wires, and cap look brand new, and I assume the rotor is also. The oil and oil filter look brand new. The PO had the oil pan gasket and various seals replaced because there was leakage. He also stated that the timing belt was replaced.

I am new to the 2.3L, as most of my experience is with the 289 in the 66 mustang and the 4.6 in the 97 Crown Vic.

The car runs ok, however I have a few areas I am trying to diagnose and I am looking for some assistance/suggestions.

1) Upon startup the engine shakes somewhat violently and the car vibrates quite a bit. However, once started this smooths out. Is this normal? Any ideas?

2) After starting the tach shows the car idling at around 1100 while in park and there is minor vibration in the steering wheel. Does this idle seem high? Would a high idle or timing issue cause the vibration?

3) Upon rapid acceleration (i.e. WOT) there is a slight hesitation. This occurs when in Park, neutral, or while driving the car. If I accelerate gradually their is no hesitation. Any tips on where I can start diagnosing this. IAC, TPS.

Thanks in advance.

Nick

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
hesitation, make sure the right spark plugs are in, and not a step colder ones, I had that problem. The vibration is normal, except if it is extreme. Does the engine idle at 1100 cold and hot or just cold?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I picked up some new spark plugs and I am going to install them and see if this makes a difference.

The vibration is not severe, so it could be normal.

The idle drops doen to just under 1000 when warm. I think it is to high. I am going to look at hooking up a tach abd ajusting the screw on the throtle body.
According to specs the idle should be:

Setting Checking
500-550 690-750

OR w/ Calibr. 8-06A-R10
625-675 690-750

or w/ Calibr. 8-05A-R10
575-625 690-750

Therefore, i believe it is running high.

Nick

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.