Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1999 Cobra has started leaking oil and a preliminary trace has led me to the area of the oil cooler adapter. If I were to hazard a guess, it looks like the oil pressure sending unit might be the culprit; however, it's also possible it's coming from the "port" located directly below the sending unit. Does anyone have any idea what this is? I've checked my Haynes manual (pretty useless for Cobra), as well as Ford's shop manual and can't find any reference to it.

Also, the Ford shop manual doesn't indicate draining the oil before removing the sending unit and that just seems crazy to me :kooky:, but if I can get away with not draining it, it would save me buckets of time - anybody ever remove it with oil still in the motor?

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
My 97 cobra oil cooler leaked like this from the seep hole on the bottom. It ended up being the threaded shaft that the oil filter screws onto was loose. When it gets loose it loses pressure letting the oil seep out the seep hole. These oil cooler/adaptors are hard to find new. Late Model Restoration is probably the best shop it it needs replaced.

·
Registered
245 Posts
you can buy most the gaskets and seals to rebuild the cooler. the only one you cannot get from ford is the small o ring that is on the shaft that holds the unit togather and the filter goes on , so be carefull of that one . if it is stretched clean it wilh bleach and dish soap and let dry in the sun , it will shrink back . then be very carefull with it , if it breaks you will have to get one that is close to the same size but it will be way harder to instal with out cutting it on the sharp edges

1 - 3 of 3 Posts