Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i bought my 11 mustang used from a dealer and it apparently had an aftermarket exhaust system that was put on it from the previous owner. The dealer said it was magnaflow, but the tips do not look like magnaflow axelbacks. If anyone could please identify whether my mufflers are stock, magnaflow, or whatever brand they may be through a video clip of my exhaust. Thanks in advance.
YouTube - ‪2011 mustang v6 exhaust‬‏

·
Registered
381 Posts
You need to either jack up the back end or get under the car somehow and take pictures/video of what the exhaust looks like. It does sound like magnaflow axlebacks, but there are so many different combinations possible that it's impossible to tell for certain just by hearing it. Previous owner could have put different tips on after the install, or anything. We can't even see the tips in the video. It's kind of like asking a blind person to tell you how many fingers you're holding up.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Why didn't you get video looking at the mufflers themselves and not just sound? No way anyone can tell you for sure by listening to them on video. Anything anyone tells you will be just a guess.

Get clear pics of the mufflers themselves and maybe someone can identify them.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Yes, also it's much easier to identify mufflers by seeing them. Each manufacturer has a fairly unique design.

If I were to guess, they kind of sound like borla or magnaflow.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Yes, also it's much easier to identify mufflers by seeing them. Each manufacturer has a fairly unique design.

If I were to guess, they kind of sound like borla or magnaflow.
it would say borla on 'the tip and underneath, it would say magnaflow on the tip and underneath..sooooo if you cant see that thennn you got a muffler shop mock up one

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it would say borla on 'the tip and underneath, it would say magnaflow on the tip and underneath..sooooo if you cant see that thennn you got a muffler shop mock up one
Is an axelback that a muffler shop created bad? Are they typically well made or junky?

B

·
0 Posts
Not if you go to a quality shop. The materials would be equal to the best stainless steel offered on better exhausts and the parts are custom fitted.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Is an axelback that a muffler shop created bad? Are they typically well made or junky?
Not if you go to a quality shop. The materials would be equal to the best stainless steel offered on better exhausts and the parts are custom fitted.
Except that you don't know what mufflers they used and unless they used stainless steel pipe then the aluminized stuff isn't as good and very few muffler shops can do anything but crush bends and they kill the flow.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl1PbiH_Bbg
Sorry about how narrow the video is, I took it with my iphone. Anyways it looks like after sticking my phone underneath the car and geting a close up video of the mufflers that they are indeed magnaflow, However the tips don't look like the magnaflows I've seen on youtube and on american muscle. What does this mean? is my system actually magnaflow? Thanks

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
It's also possible that they just cut off the original and welded on the new ones leaving you without any flanges to bolt on a new set of axle backs.

·
Registered
381 Posts
To me it looks like they welded the stock tips back onto the muffler. I guess my next question would be, are you sure they're axlebacks and it's not an actual catback system with different tips? I'm pretty sure stock mustangs have a couple different tips depending on whether it's an auto or manual trans. Those look like the same tips that are on my base auto.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
So, your car is an automatic huh?

Looks like that all they did was cut your the stock mufflers off and weld in some magnaflows.

Crappy job of it too.

At the very least I would go and get some decent tips put on to replace the cheesy stock automatic tips.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the input guys, do you think I should just by a new set of axel backs and replace what I have on their.

·
Registered
381 Posts
You're going to have to either get a catback system to do it up right, or you're going to have to buy a different axleback with tips, have the old setup cut out, then the new ones welded back in where the others' were.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Yeah, the stock auto double pipe is hideous. The sound is ok though. It's up to you, but chances are that if you took the time to make both videos, it IS bothering you. haha

At least you now know what a magnaflow system sounds like! It's a good middle ground for loudness. If you want more aggressive - Borla ATAK, Roush, Magnaflow Comps & delete options are where it's at. If you are looking for an aggressive sound about the same level, Bassani is a good choice. The quieter options are pypes catback, dynomax catback and FRPP.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I would recommend just getting a cat-back system. It will come with all of the hardware that you need, and that way you're not dealing with the cutting and welding. You can do it, but with the labor, it might be better to get a cat-back anyway, price-wise. That, plus a cat-back system comes with new stainless over-axle pipes, depending on what kit you buy. However, most companies use stainless now...

Check em out: Cat-Back Systems 2011-2012 V6 at AmericanMuscle.com

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the advice everyone, and I definitely will be going with the full catback for ease of installation and some small power gains.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts