Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guiys i bought a spec satge 2 clutch and my car has be in and out of the shop bc the throw out bering krrps going. and spec says i shouldent be haveing that problem. anyways im geting a different clutch and want to know of a good clutch that is smooth and handels power. thanks guys:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
McLeod RST Dual Disc Clutch set up, will handle the power and is smooth operating. If your power level goes up, you can step up on the clutch to RXT, Mike. :bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have had my Spec stage 2+ clutch for about a year now, along with there steel billet flywheel. Every once and awhile it will squawk when taking off in first gear(Due to driver error). But other than that I believe it to be a great product. I have about 4,000 miles on it. I didn't replace the bearing last year when I put this clutch in. My Zoom stage 3 clutched died in a year at 4,000miles. From the year before and I just went with that one that I replaced at that time, since it was barely used.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the clutch is great at low rpm. but when you floor it. i shift at 6600rpm and when trying to shift quick the clutch goes away. It feels like i have no clutch but when the rpms drop back down and a cupple of pumps the peddle come back. i also put a bran new throw out bering in. my clutch guy thinkks the preasure plat is geting inverted at the high rpms. idk what to do. I called spec and they told me i shouldent be haveing this problem :?::?::?::?::?:

·
Registered
431 Posts
the clutch is great at low rpm. but when you floor it. i shift at 6600rpm and when trying to shift quick the clutch goes away. It feels like i have no clutch but when the rpms drop back down and a cupple of pumps the peddle come back. i also put a bran new throw out bering in. my clutch guy thinkks the preasure plat is geting inverted at the high rpms. idk what to do. I called spec and they told me i shouldent be haveing this problem :?::?::?::?::?:
Look into buying a ford racing clutch line, its stainless steel. It goes from the clutch pedal to the slave cylinder in the trans. The factory one is plastic and will expand from the fluid being super heated from the clutch. Upgrade your brake and clutch fluid to a DOT 5.1 NON-SILICONE. That should helpout the high rpm issues. I dunno why the throwout bearing is having a issue in your car. Go to Blue Collar Performance: Affordable Performance & Aftermarket Parts they have a good write up on this and sell that part also. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i talked to the guy who put my clutch in and he told that the line thhats in there from ford is very tough and was in good condition when he looked at it. i think i hace a bad presure plate. or one that is made foe the 99 to 04 mustangs, bc they do not rev as high as our 3vs do .. idk running out of money with this dam clutch

G

·
The Spec clutch comes with it's own pressure plate. I am going to do a copy and paste job here, it is marketing, but there might be some truth to it. RAM is pleased to introduce our hydraulic adjustment system for late model vehicles equipped with internal slave cylinder/bearings. Factory hydraulic systems do not allow for adjustment of the pedal position, often resulting in a high engagement point when using aftermarket clutches. The RAM system allows you to adjust your pedal position lower to the floor for better driver comfort. Additionally, this system will allow you to minimize the release of your clutch system for racing applications. Some vehicles experience shifting problems at higher RPM due to overcentering, or overtravel of the clutch fingers. By limiting this travel and setting the clutch pedal for minimum release this overtravel situation can be eliminated, restoring clean shifts at high RPM.
The RAM adjustment system can also be used with most any aftermarket internal hydraulic bearing to allow the same benefits listed above. In these cases the bearing travel can be pre-set prior to completing the install to insure the bearing assembly will not be overtraveled, thus eliminating the possibility of prematurely wearing or damaging the bearing slave.
On the flip side, there are a lot of people with spec stage 2 that works just fine for them that don't have the above. The fact that you are talking about 6700rpm is what keyed me in. I had read it before. Do you know anybody that has had their clutch done at this shop with issues or are they usually spot on? What is the max "normal" shift you can make? If all is good at say 6200-6400 rpm, it's possible other folks don't shift that high and don't have the same reported problem though. And I have heard from several people saying the same as BlewBIU about the braided clutch line and swearing by it, KDT was one of them.

·
Registered
406 Posts

I seriously doubt you have the wrong pressure plate as I had to drop my transmission after the PP slipped after my clutch install and sheared the dowels,, The alignment dowels on the 2v PP's are considerably larger than on the S197 flywheel ... You could not possibly fit the wrong PP without noticing the PP alignment holes are too large ...

Did the guys that installed the clutch check the Slave pre-load described in this RAM tech article?

Factory Hyd. setup

That article makes it sound more complicated than it really is, The easy way to determine whether you need to shim is to measure the height of the PP fingers when installed with the clutch disc on the flywheel on a work bench,

We measured the OEM slave preload right at .600" ...

I installed an ACT clutch/PP a month ago for a couple reasons, The OEM clutch was slipping at high rpm's due to me pushing 485rwhp thru it and, It stuck to the floor a couple times at 6100rpm shifts ..

After my pedal stuck to the metal,, I did some internet education of how the slave works ,,,

From my understanding of how the hydraulic slave works, if you don't have enough pre-load, the slave wont have enough hydraulic pressure to push back against the pedal (resulting in the pedal being stuck to the metal) at whatever extreme rpm you happen to be pushing thru it ... As soon as the rpm's drop, the centrifugal force will release and the slave will work again ... As long as you aren't beating on it, the slave will work fine .. It'll only act up when you reaaaalllllyyyyy stomp it ...

Also, the loss of clutch pressure could be caused by the fluid in the slave boiling, from water contamination, or being low on fluid, my OEM slave was leaking a little bit ... Then again,, it could very well be the PP, 6600rpm is a lotta' rpm ...

When we bench checked the ACT pressure plate fingers were 3mm (not quite 1/8") shorter than the OEM Valeo clutch on the stock flywheel ,, Luckily one of the guys my brother in law works with specializes in late model slowamro's (they use a similar slave setup) and had a .115" shim that we used ... and brought the preload to .615" ... which is a little more than the .600 max RAM listed in their tech paper ...

I also changed to DOT4 fluid and so far the new clutch is working fine at 6100rpm 1st-to-2nd-to-3rd (and a few shifts 3rd into 4th at 6000) shifts ..

So,, in summation,, I'd suggest changing your brake/clutch fluid and ensuring the slave preload is setup correctly before throwing more money into it ...

Good luck ..

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
drive 55 not'... that is excatly what is happen to me. i can go to 6000 but i cant shift quick or it sticks. nice and slow loses the race:gringreen. right at 6000 you can feel the pedel geting i guess softer and any higher its gone. the guy who installed my clutch was a stick shift racer and builds 7sec cars. so he new how to install the clutch. but this was very helpfull i am going to show him what you guys just told me and see if we can fix this problem:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsupthanks alot guys realy:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

1 - 9 of 9 Posts