Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Well by the end of this month ill have enough money to buy a mustang gt. My limit is 8500 but for some reason everyone has them at 9500 or higher. The only gts that i see that i can afford are the ones with like 80k miles or higher. I know its kind of a vague question but is there a huge difference in a stang with 59k and one with 85k? given they have both been treated well and maintained. I want to get one with under 70k but its tuff up here in michigan. Please help thanks guys

·
Registered
402 Posts
For that price and a GT your going to get an older one and for the most part that price isn't going to get you low miles on a mustang. I would probably say go to the car lots a lot of them don't post everything they have on carsoup or similar sites.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
what year gt you looking for? i got my 99 cobra last year for $7500 in mint condition and a couple mods.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
my friend just sold his 02 gt with intake/plenum, fwi, 4.10s, 93r bama tune and a triax shifter, has not even 80k miles on it for $7500. so if you look for what you want and the price you want, its possible to find it.

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
yeah there's a difference, you are looking at about 2 years more wear and tear on the car, at 85K+ on a Stang you can potentially be looking at replacing anything related to the motor or trans and spending way more on repairs than you would if you just spent a little more upfront...you with me?

·
Registered
104 Posts
when i got my 01 gt, it had 86,000 miles on it with a few mods on it and i only paid 7,000 for it. If you want a car under 70k miles then you are going to have to pay a bit more put if you get a older year then you can do good. But it just depends where you look online and talk to people and see what they will do.

Good luck on your search

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry i didnt specify...im looking for a 99-04 bodystyle sohc...i guess you guys are right. The older it is the worse. Is there like a general mileage point where mustang engines really start to go bad?or does it just depend on care and maintenance?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Try and look around carmax's website. That should just give you an idea on price points. (saying carmax because you can find them selling anything at any given time)

But no matter what you do... you might want to look into a third party warranty.

·
Registered
27 Posts
well I just got my 98 mustang gt coupe (NJ).. $3000, with 120,000 miles on it.. runs strong as hell. so i would go with the first car you can find. dont be picky with the miles. just treat your car rite. I passed up 4 better cars because i was too slow to just get them. hurry ...lol

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had a 87, 5.0 had 207,100 miles on it.. before i had engine problems, so it does matter on how it was recently maintained. try carfax, they have cars on there site in any area with a free carfax report! check out how often it was maintained.. just remember people can do there own oil changes so dont worry if that wasnt done too often at a shop!

·
Registered
585 Posts
There is no official mileage where mustang engines start going bad. I've had a few mechanics tell me that generally 70-100k is when things are going to start breaking if they are going to break, but it all comes down to maintenance. If that car had been rigorously maintained, a 200k engine can be just as health as a poorly maintained 50k engine.

If you buy from a private seller, ask some questions he or she would have to think about to get the truth out. If you ask about oil changes they are going to obviously say "Every 3000 miles like clockwork!" If you want the truth, ask them if they'd ever changed their transmission fluid or performed any part replacements. Just things that people don't automatically have a "Safe" answer for. Like the Transmission fluid one, some people say change every 45000, others say never change it, ever. So it's a trick type question.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
it all depends on maintnance. i just did my head gaskets cause they were leaking oil. everything is tip top now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok. I really appreciate this guys. This gives me much more confidence into buying my stang. Thanks so much!...feel free to continue writing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts