Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I need some help choosing a axle back system for my ride. I currently have kooks long tube headers with high flow cats and x pipe and pypes deletes. It is loud and raspy. I don’t mind the loudness so much as I do the raspy ness. I was looking at the borla s type and arak systems in hopes it would take some of that raspiness out and maybe make it alittle deeper tone. Any help would be appreciated. Sound clips if possible.

·
Registered
11,355 Posts
I think the X-pipe contributes to the raspy ness; you might want to try an H-pipe for a deeper and less raspy tone

Or you could try something like the Magnaflow rectangular muffers; these are not chambered mufflers, rather the perforated pipe goes "straight through" but it makes a bend, coming in one corner and out the other; these had a real smooth deep tone on my 2010 with otherwise stock exhaust, but they were too quiet; on your set-up they might do the trick.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
I have an X pipe on my 05 V6, found a pair of original mufflers from a GT of that year and frankly, it's the best sounding car that I've ever owned.

·
Registered
2014 GT, 1967 Fairlane GTA
2,699 Posts
X pipes are well known to be more raspy than H pipes. If you want to get rid of some of that raspy sound then like JBert said swap it for an H pipe.
If you want a nice deep tone go with an H pipe and a suitably reviewed muffler. You have long tubes so that will have a lot to do with the overall sound/volume but your muffler choice will probably be one of the largest factors.
Spintech also has rectangular mufflers like the Magnaflows mentioned above. I've heard good things. They're not as common as the typically bought brands. The 6000 or 3000 series would likely be what you'd want but I'd call them to see what they recommend.

·
Registered
05 GT Premium, satin silver over red
234 Posts
Do you still have the stock mufflers? After installing my long tubes, my straight thru Dynomax mufflers had to go. I put the stockers back on as a temporary measure until I could free up some cash for the Borla Touring setup. I was surprised at how good the stock mufflers sound with LT headers in front of them and they're still on the car 3 years later.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Consider cat-backs and keep the H-pipe, as others have mentioned...you'll love the sound, but your neighbors wont!:eek:

·
Registered
854 Posts
I've been using the LMR's SVE axlebacks for about a year or so with LT's and catless h-pipe. Nice deep tone at idle and not very raspy. I also have FRPP Cams so my tone is a bit more deep I think than stock cams. There is a bit of drone at 1800~2100 rpms. With cats the tone will probably be a bit deeper and not as loud as mine. I have had a LOT of positive comments at stop lights, car shows, gas stations, etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
O5 GT I have the Borla Atak axle back and man they sound great.. I think the price point is a bit much but if you like Loud deep growl I think this is what you would want .. if you got the extra bread definetly will turn heads .. sometimes the wrong heads though ( I got a speeding ticket yesterday, 60 in a 40 ) OUCH !!

·
Registered
11,355 Posts
I'm pretty sure that those small, straight-through "can" mufflers will NOT take out any of the raspiness from the X-pipe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts