Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have removed headlight switch knobs on '96 and '98 Mustang GT's, but the knob on my 2004 Cobra seems to be different. The older GT's had a small springy metal tab that I depressed thru the slit in the knob, and that released the knob from the shaft. This morning I tried to get the knob off the '04 Cobra, and it didn't look the same. There seems to be a raised square of metal on the shaft itself when I look in the slot, but nothing seems to happen if I push on that raised metal. I've tried prying it forward and rearward with no luck either. Is there some trick to this on the Cobra? Thanks for the help! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
197 Posts
You should just be able to stick a small flat head in the slot and pull it towards you. That's how my 01 Cobra is, should be the same on yours.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help. I discovered that the Cobra IS the same as the '96 and '98, but the tension of the metal clip against the shaft was very strong on the Cobra...I just couldn't get it to release. Ultimately the clip separated from the plastic knob, and I removed the clip all by itself. Then, I used epoxy to join it back up with the knob. Before doing that I bent the clip a little, so that it wouldn't be so tight if I get the pleasure of cleaning the dirt out of my instrument display again sometime. :so
By the way I slipped an o-ring over the shaft of the odometer reset button to plug up the open space between it and the cluster face. Hopefully that will prevent some of the dust from slipping in there. I've had 3 convertibles, and a dusty instrument cluster is a standard problem. Thanks again! :nogrinner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.