Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason or another, I have little white paint specs all over my car and even my window shield. Can anyone suggest products/methods in order to remove said specs?. I have a kona blue 2011. Also, whats a good drying method after washing?

·
Registered
896 Posts
Sounds to me like overspray.

The first thing I would try is a claybar. If that didn't work, then I'd try a cleaner/polish with a mild abrasive. If that didn't work, then I'd do some googling about removing overspray.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Clay bar should do the trick for you.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
As already posted, try a clay bar first since it will probably take care of it and it doesn't remove any paint in the process. Hope you don't need anything more drastic.

Best way to dry a car? First make sure the car is absolutely clean. Unless you are air drying the car, the last pass of the microfiber (recommended) or whatever you use will be on dry paint. So ANY dirt left turns it into sandpaper. This is where a lot of paint damage occurs.

I tried a system from Costco that supposedly takes all impurities out of the water. In theory, you can then just let the water evaporate to dry the car. Didn't work.

I'm going to try an 8HP filtered/heated blower next (made for drying large animals although people also sell them for drying cars). I'll post a thread when I see how it works. It might not because I suspect it will blow water out of crevices. And since those crevices could not be cleaned, this may leave the car less clean than I want. Also not sure what kinf of amperage this will draw when using an extension cord. Wouldn't want to have to rewire for it. LoL.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Don't forget when you use a clay bar it strips the wax off too, so you will definitely need to reapply some wax. I've used the Meguires and the Mothers clay bar, I liked the Mothers better. Both of these should be easy to obtain from Walmart or your local auto parts store. Recently I've been using a system from Wolfgang that can be ordered from autogeek.net, by far the best clay bar I've used but its also double the price.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Don't forget when you use a clay bar it strips the wax off too, so you will definitely need to reapply some wax.
Its actually better to strip the wax off with Dawn before claying. The wax makes it harder to get the imbedded stuff off with the clay and shortens the life of the clay.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Its actually better to strip the wax off with Dawn before claying. The wax makes it harder to get the imbedded stuff off with the clay and shortens the life of the clay.

I won't disagree with you on that. I was assuming he was only going to clay the affected areas of the car(least time consuming.) If he washed the entire car with Dawn then he would need to reapply wax to the entire car, or better yet clay the entire car and then wax(most time consuming but worth the end result.):hihi::hihi:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
all great ideas fellas, I will use this thread as my guide when I do it. I try to post pix as well.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I won't disagree with you on that. I was assuming he was only going to clay the affected areas of the car(least time consuming.) If he washed the entire car with Dawn then he would need to reapply wax to the entire car, or better yet clay the entire car and then wax(most time consuming but worth the end result.):hihi::hihi:
Doh!!! I forgot it was just a small area. :)

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.