Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad and I are building a budget performance 306 to put in my 1984 GT. I want a torquey daily driver that that will probably be driven hard (I'm 17 and can't help it :D) and see the strip a few times a year. Ideally I'd like to see at least 300rwhp and 330rwtq. It has the T5 manual and an 8.8 with 3.55's out back.

Here's my tentative combo:

306ci short block that accepts a roller cam from 50resto.com
Edelbrock E-Street heads (1.90" valves)
Weiand Stealth intake
Holley 600cfm 4-barrel carb (part# 0-80452)

I need help finding a cam that will provide good torque and power from idle to 5500rpm. From what I've seen the factory 5.0 roller cam is the best for that. Another consideration is the Trick Flow Stage 1 cam. I don't need a radical cam, and custom is out of the budget. Is there anyone who makes a direct replacement 5.0 roller cam, I can't find one, and I'd prefer to stay away from used. How much would 1.7 rocker arms help?
I also need exhaust header recommendations, please.
If I have overlooked something, or if the parts are not compatible, please tell me. This is a bit ovewhelming.
Thanks for the help.

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
I would call Comp or Trick flow and talk to them about your setup and goals, they can make recommendations best

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nevermind on the E-Streets. Just found out that they only work with flat tappet cams. Does any one have experience with the Comp Cams XE-264HR for a mild, low RPM cam?

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Nevermind on the E-Streets. Just found out that they only work with flat tappet cams. Does any one have experience with the Comp Cams XE-264HR for a mild, low RPM cam?
Not sure where you got your info but the Estreet is a decent little head and will work with your combo.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Does any one have experience with the Comp Cams XE-264HR for a mild, low RPM cam?
Yes, it's a good cam for your application and has a little rump to it too.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The E-Streets are okay? I asked about them at another mustang forum and they said that "The E street head thing is Not rumor, they are for use with Flat tappet cams only. And unless you want to spend a bundle machining them to work, you really are going to need to find another head." I didn't bother looking it up anywhere else, I guess I'm kind of using that as an excuse to go for 170cc Twisted Wedges.

Oh, and about the XE-264HR, Comp says it requires 1.7 Rocker arms. Can I use 1.6's with it? Would it be better for low end torque w/ the 1.6's.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
I kinda read what they wrote in that post but read what the engine builder wrote. Valve springs are very specific to cam profiles and the amount of different springs that are out there. Just like getting the correct pushrod length is an overlooked item in valvetrain geometry.

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
just as ED stated in his post, the springs on that head are NOT designed for a hydraulic roller! you can't fix stupid.....:nono:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts